20 industries hiring the most workers in 2020 that all job seekers should consider
Hero Images/Getty Images
- It's a new year and a new decade, and many Americans are spending their January looking for a new job.
- Using Bureau of Labor Statistics data, we found 20 industries that employ a large number of people in fast-growing occupations.
- Healthcare and other services targeted to an aging population are poised to hire thousands of workers over the next decade.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
It's a new year and a new decade, and many Americans are spending their January looking for a new job.We took a look at government projections for employment over the next decade to see what industries could be particularly appealing to job seekers in 2020.Advertisement
Using Bureau of Labor Statistics employment projections that aim to predict how particular occupations are likely to grow or shrink between 2018 and 2028, and estimates of how many people in various occupations were employed in different industries in 2018, we found 20 industries that employ a lot of people in fast-growing occupations.
Specifically, for each industry group, we calculated the average percent growth rates for occupations employed in that industry, weighted by the number of employees with that occupation in each industry. While not an exact prediction of employment growth in each industry, this metric gives a good sense for which industries favor fast-growing jobs.Several of the industries on the list are in the healthcare sector, which has seen booming job growth for the last several years. As America continues to age, demand for medical care and services targeted toward the elderly is likely to continue growing in the 2020s and beyond.
20. Foundation, structure, and building exterior contractors
19. Special food servicesAdvertisement
18. Dentists' offices
17. Personal care servicesAdvertisement
16. Computer systems design and related services
15. Nursing care facilitiesAdvertisement
14. General medical and surgical hospitals
13. Medical and diagnostic laboratoriesAdvertisement
11. Software publishersAdvertisement
10. Vocational rehabilitation services
9. Psychiatric and substance abuse hospitalsAdvertisement
8. Specialty hospitals
7. Physicians' officesAdvertisement
6. Outpatient care centers
5. Taxi and limousine serviceAdvertisement
4. Continuing-care retirement communities and assisted-living facilities for the elderly
3. Residential intellectual and developmental disability, mental health, and substance abuse facilitiesAdvertisement
2. Individual and family services
1. Home healthcare servicesAdvertisement
- India leaves borrowing calendar unchanged — sticks to its ₹12 lakh crore target for the year
- EA Play games will be available with Xbox Game Pass starting November 10
- Indians can now fly to Kenya and Bhutan under the new air bubble agreement, says Aviation Minister Puri
- Centre extends deadline for IT returns filing for 2019-20 to November 30
- September two-wheeler sales expectations — Hero MotoCorp expected to outperform Bajaj Auto and TVS Motor