From the Jeffrey Epstein scandal to the demise of Elizabeth Holmes' Theranos, these were the biggest billionaire controversies of the 2010s
(Photo by Joe Schildhorn/Patrick McMullan via Getty Images)
- These billionaires were involved in some of the most talked about scandals of the decade.
- Elizabeth Holmes' net worth plummeted from $4.5 billion to $0 after it emerged her blood-testing company was being investigated by federal agencies.
- Billionaire financier Jeffrey Epstein was facing sex trafficking charges when he died at a Manhattan jail.
- While some billionaires emerged unscathed after paying hefty fines or reaching settlements, others have never recovered.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The saying goes that the bigger you are, the harder you fall.
These billionaires all experienced public scrutiny and the impact of a widely known scandal - brought on by personal issues, business-related turmoil, or even federal crimes.
From the highly publicized Jeffrey Epstein scandal to the demise of notorious Ponzi schemer Allen Stanford, here are 13 of the wildest billionaire scandals that defined the 2010s.