Here's how to uncover your 'Zone of Genius' - the sweet spot between what you're great at and what fulfills you at work
Courtesy of Laura Garnett
- Laura Garnett is a performance strategist and TEDx speaker who works with CEOs and executives to identify their unique genius and purpose and craft an actionable plan to leverage them.
- She says that "peak work experiences" come when people feel completely immersed in what they're doing - when they're "in the zone."
- To experience this as much as possible, Garnett created a framework called the "Zone of Genius." Identifying what your purpose is, using it at work, and consistently practicing it will not only cut down on boredom - it can help you on the road to success.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Here's a shocking stat: Most people will spend at least 90,000 hours working over the course of their career - even more for those who don't retire at age 65. Given that so much of our time is spent working, one would hope that we could make the overall experience fulfilling and maybe even a little bit enjoyable.Several years ago, I embarked upon a quest to understand how to create peak work experiences while building a career that provides the kind of success and impact that's meaningful to me. In doing so, I researched the psychology and neuroscience of performance. Advertisement
I've found that many people describe moments of being "in the zone" or, as psychologist Mihály Csíkszentmihályi puts it, "in flow." In these types of moments, you feel completely immersed in the work you're doing and have a strong sense of confidence about the skills you're using. You're enjoying the process and you have a high level of mastery with the tasks you're accomplishing. When you're operating in the zone, work is fun, exhilarating, and meaningful.
But for many people, especially if they're unhappy at work, this concept can feel elusive. So my work has been about developing a methodology and framework that helps people harness the power they have to uncover their peak work situations - and experience them as frequently as possible.I call this framework your "Zone of Genius." Your Zone of Genius is comprised of two essential data points: your genius and your purpose. Your genius is the thinking or problem solving that you're best at; it's what allows you to be challenged in the best way possible. Your purpose is the impact - on the world or others - that's most meaningful to you.
When you know both your genius and your purpose and commit to incorporating them in your career, I can almost guarantee you'll find your work more engaging and fulfilling.Ready to get started? These steps will help you discover your Zone of Genius and begin operating within it today.
1. Identify your Zone of Genius
2. Start to use your Zone of GeniusAdvertisement
3. Build the genius habit
- Zomato announces 10 days of menstrual leave for all women employees – including transgender people
- Mukesh Ambani is now the world’s fourth-richest person after he beat Louis Vuitton owner Bernard Arnault
- If you have a high risk tolerance — here are a few ‘aggressive’ investment bets to consider
- Karnataka is building a cycling map for Bengaluru by crowdsourcing inputs from city's cyclists
- Indian Medical Association says nearly 200 doctors have lost their lives to COVID-19