Hey Facebook, about the new logo: All caps are ugly, shouty, and anti-Gen-Z
GERARD JULIEN/AFP/Getty Images
- Facebook announced a new logo on Monday.
- The new logo - which reads FACEBOOK in all-caps - will be used for a "company brand" that encompasses products within Facebook's portfolio, like WhatsApp and Instagram.
- The all-caps branding seems like a direct affront to millennials and Gen-Zers. Lowercase letters aren't just "chiller" - they're easier to recognize.
- Put plainly, all-caps is harder to read, and to anyone who uses the Internet regularly, it looks like shouting.
- The logo also constantly announces the presence of Facebook, the center of a wide variety of societal stresses, across its products.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
On Monday, Facebook announced it would be rebranding its corporate logo. The new brand is an all-caps FACEBOOK.
The new logo, however, could be off-putting to the millennials and Gen Zers who are addicted to the social media giant's products. Put plainly, all-caps is harder to read, and to anyone who uses the Internet regularly, it looks like shouting.
To see how jarring all-caps can be, CONSIDER THAT TEXT LIKE THIS DOES NOT FEEL LIKE A WELL-RESEARCHED ARTICLE, BUT INSTEAD JUST SCREAMING.
FACEBOOK is, according to a Facebook newsroom release, a new "company brand" that will encompass all of Facebook's products - it's separate from the Facebook app, which will retain its own branding.
The new logo is an affront to millennial and Gen-Z sensibilities. All-caps is often read as shouting or aggressive — the last thing I need is Facebook shouting at me.
While you don't necessarily have to write FACEBOOK every time you refer to Facebook's portfolio — which includes services like WhatsApp and Instagram — the all-caps logo will appear on any app that comes from Facebook.
"ALL-CAPS FILL THE SPACE, so there's an element of feeling that the message is crowding out everything else," Luna told the New Republic.
- 'Harry Potter' had a chance to represent Indian kids like me, but all we got were Parvati and Padma Patil's atrocious Yule Ball outfits
- Manchester United owners are getting drawn to the world's biggest cricket league – here's why
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- Indian Prime Minister’s vaccine celebration may really be a pitch for a ratings upgrade
- Here’s how to install Android apps on Windows 11
- Singapore arbitrator favours Amazon’s claim, Future-Reliance’s ₹25,000 crore deal put on hold longer
- Google lowers Play Store fees from 30% to 15% for developers
- Best compact entry-level bluetooth speakers with mic