The 25 best US cities for veterans to live, ranked
- According to the Veterans Association, there are currently more than 19.2 million veterans living in America.
- However, when it comes to adjusting to civilian life, some areas of the country are better for veterans than others.
- WalletHub ranked the 100 largest US cities in four major categories - employment, economy, quality of life, and health - to determine the best cities for veterans to live in after leaving the service.
- The top three best US cities for veterans to call home are Tampa, Florida; Austin, Texas; and Orlando, Florida.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
For the more than 19 million veterans currently living in the United States, where you live can be essential to your access to healthcare, good employment, and a strong quality of life.WalletHub recently conducted a report of the best US cities for veterans, analyzing 20 key indicators of livability, affordability, and veteran-friendliness. The study then provided rankings - out of 100 - for each category.Advertisement
Employment rankings took into account the number of veteran-owned businesses per veteran population and opportunities for job growth, as well as the availability of jobs that utilize military-learned skills. Economy rankings considered factors such as the median veteran income and veteran homelessness rates, while quality of life was determined by analyzing veteran population, restaurants with military discounts, and more.
The study found that Tampa, Florida, triumphed as the best major US city for veterans, earning a total score of 72.44 out of a possible 100. Boston, Massachusetts, despite ranking at No. 68 overall, earned the highest ranking for veteran employment.Keep reading to find out the top 25 best US cities for veterans.
25. Lincoln, Nebraska
24. Durham, North CarolinaAdvertisement
23. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
22. Chesapeake, VirginiaAdvertisement
21. San Antonio, Texas
20. Denver, ColoradoAdvertisement
19. Laredo, Texas
18. Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaAdvertisement
17. Columbus, Ohio
16. Boise, IdahoAdvertisement
15. San Diego, California
14. Plano, TexasAdvertisement
13. Fort Worth, Texas
12. Irvine, CaliforniaAdvertisement
11. Madison, Wisconsin
10. Jacksonville, FloridaAdvertisement
9. St. Petersburg, Florida
8. Gilbert, ArizonaAdvertisement
7. Virginia Beach, Virginia
6. Colorado Springs, ColoradoAdvertisement
5. Scottsdale, Arizona
4. Raleigh, North CarolinaAdvertisement
3. Orlando, Florida
2. Austin, TexasAdvertisement
1. Tampa, Florida
- India's COVID-19 tally crosses 7 lakh-mark, death toll over 20,000
- COVID-19: Final-year exams in universities postponed to September
- Door-to-door health survey in Delhi's COVID-19 containment zones completed
- COVID-19: 7 more die in Nashik district; 272 test positive
- Mumbai COVID-19 cases cross 85,000 mark, fatalities near 5,000