The situation in Syria, explained in 30 seconds
Delil Souleiman/Getty Images
- Trump's decision to pull US forces from Kurdish-controlled areas in northeastern Syria on October 6 left the civil-war-torn country open to Turkish attack, which followed on October 9.
- Syria has been caught in a civil war since 2011 - some 500,000 people have perished and 12 million have been displaced, according to the Human Rights Watch.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
What has been happening in Syria?President Donald Trump's abrupt decision to pull US forces from Kurdish-controlled areas in northeastern Syria, officially announced by the White House on October 6, left the civil-war-torn country open to Turkish attack.Advertisement
Here's a 30-second explanation of what's been going on:
Turkey invaded northeast Syria on October 9 in a military operation called "Operation Peace Spring."Advertisement
And finally, here's a 5-minute explanation of the events leading up to and through October, via a timeline of our past coverage:
- IPO rush this week — CAMS, Chemcon and Angel Broking gear up to hit the market
- Two foreigners held for drug peddling
- Bio-secure bubbles – Here's how IPL players will be staying safe during the pandemic
- INTERVIEW: Chennai-based CAMS’ 30-year journey to an IPO
- Amazon pumps in money into MORE to take on the heavyweights Reliance Retail and DMart