Air pollution amplifying negative effects of climate change: Indian-origin researcher
AdvertisementIt is the first such study to simulate how aerosol pollution affects both climate and air quality in locations around the globe.
Aerosols are tiny solid particles and liquid droplets that contribute to smog and are emitted from industrial factories.
The researchers, led by The
The scientists looked at eight key regions: Brazil, China, East Africa, Western Europe, India, Indonesia, the US and South Africa.
The findings showed that some emerging economies, like East African nations and India, might be motivated to collaborate on emission cuts since each other's emissions strongly impact them.
"Carbon dioxide has the same impact on climate no matter which emits it," said co-lead author
But for, these aerosol pollutants tend to stay concentrated near where they're emitted, "so the effect that they have on the climate system is very patchy and very dependent on where they're coming from," she noted in the study published in the journal Science Advances.
Aerosols can directly affect human health and the climate independently of CO2.
"CO2 is making the planet warmer, but it also gets emitted with a bunch of other compounds that impact people and plants directly and cause climate changes in their own right," said
The researchers noted that aerosol emissions are always bad for both the emitter and the planet overall.
"While we might think about aerosols, which cool the climate, as having the silver lining of counteracting CO2-driven warming, when we look at all these effects in combination, we find that no region experiences overall local benefits or generates overall global benefits by emitting aerosols," said Persad.
Researchers also said the findings create potentially new motivations for countries to cut emissions -- and to care about other nations cutting emissions.
Popular on BI
- Govt approves PLI scheme for making drones with outlay of Rs 120 cr, comes out with norms
- Apple transportation through drones to become reality in tribal Kinnaur district of HP
- Researchers develop device that uses sound waves to separate blood-based nanoparticles
- 5 Bihar villages to be developed into human-carnivore coexistence zone
- Delhi's air quality will likely improve from Sunday evening, says IMD
- Dharmaj Crop IPO
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Maruti Suzuki
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World