TARGET: People aren't buying Apple products, and it's crushing our sales
The retailer on Wednesday reported earnings that were stronger than expected. But it lowered its outlook for the rest of the year as it plans for a "challenging environment," according to CEO Brian Cornell.
There was "meaningful pressure in electronics" during the second quarter, and a decline erased 70 basis points from overall sales at stores open for at least one year, he said.
"Notably about a third of this pressure was driven by Apple products which were down more than 20% in the quarter," Cornell said.
He added that the weakness was not confined to one particular Apple product, and the company is working with Apple and vendor partners to grow sales.
But iPhone sales have taken an unusual turn lower everywhere. Earlier this year, Apple acknowledged that iPhone sales fell for the first time in the device's nine-year history.
The company is expected to announce a new iPhone in September. According to reports and leaks, it will look very similar to the iPhone 6s. The notable changes will likely be an upgraded camera and the removal of the headphone jack.
A more drastic redesign is expected in 2017, a decade after the iPhone first launched. And meanwhile, people may not find convincing reasons to upgrade in the fall.
But Target is hoping that the new phones, an overhauled MacBook Pro, and other products also lift sales.
"Our guests come to us looking for those products," Cornell said. "They're looking for the newness and the innovation, and we're putting together plans with Apple and our merchandising teams to make sure we're ready to take advantage of that in the back half of the year."
- DBS Bank’s custom financing leads the way for companies trying to reach net-zero goals
- Google to open its new office in Pune this year, will hire cloud technology experts
- The world's 5 richest tech tycoons — including Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, and Bill Gates — have already lost about $85 billion this year amid a brutal market sell-off
- Researchers have developed a cheaper COVID-19 test that claims to deliver results in less than 20 minutes
- Emily in Paris: Things that the series got right and wrong about working in advertising
- Vodafone Idea says another tariff hike is coming even as it continues to lose subscribers
- Republic Day 2022 – Here is a list of wishes and messages you can send to your fellow citizens
- Bitcoin mining profit is shrinking with prices in dumps and difficulty on the rise