Taylor Swift Crushes Expected Album Sales, Breaks Records
Swift's sales exceeded expectations, with industry insiders predicting sales of just 650,000 albums. Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images
Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images
"1989" is Swift's fifth studio album. It was released on October 27th and immediately shot to No.1 on the Billboard charts, making it her fourth No. 1 album.
The record is the second-largest selling of the year, only behind the "Frozen" soundtrack, which has sold 3.5 million units since its release last November.Swift made headlines earlier this week when she pulled her entire music catalogue from Spotify in order to drive album sales on sites like iTunes. In an op-ed for The Wall Street Journal earlier this year, Swift wrote that "piracy, file sharing and streaming have shrunk the numbers of paid album sales drastically."
Looks like Swift's plan worked.
- Popular devotional singer Narendra Chanchal passes away at 80
- Indian School of Business ranked 1st in India, 44th globally as per MBA Ranking 2021 by The Economist
- 25 kg gold jewellery and ₹96,000 cash stolen at gunpoint from Muthoot Finance branch in Tamil Nadu
- Rajasthan: Budget session from February 10
- IPL players auction to be held on February 18, says BCCI official