Apple finally revealed what the 'R' in iPhone XR stands for
- One of Apple's new iPhones this fall is named "iPhone XR."
- Apple finally revealed what the "R" means.
- Apparently, it's an homage to "special" sports cars, according to Apple's top marketer Phil Schiller.
The newest Apple phones this year are called the iPhone XS and iPhone XR.
Apple insists that the "X" stands for "10," like the Roman numeral. And "S" stands for "speed," at least in Apple lore.
But what did the "R" stand for? According to Apple's top marketer, it has to do with sports cars.
"I love cars and things that go fast, and R and S are both letters used to denote sport cars that are really extra special," Apple marketing senior vice president Phil Schiller told Engadget.
So "R" could stand for "rally," or "type-R," or "road and track," or anything, really - there are a lot of cars that use "R" in their branding.
However, the last time Schiller tweeted about his favorite cars, he didn't list any "S" or "R" cars models, although he does have a specific taste: fast, rare, and exotic.
"So many favs to choose from: McLaren F1, Aston DB4 GT, Porsche 550A, Ferrari P4, Ford GT/40, Jaguar D-type, Lambo Miura," Schiller tweeted.
Read Engadget's entire interview with Schiller here.
@lelebuonerba so many favs to choose from: McLaren F1, Aston DB4 GT, Porsche 550A, Ferrari P4, Ford GT/40, Jaguar D-type, Lambo Miura...- Philip Schiller (@pschiller) March 4, 2012
- 'Harry Potter' had a chance to represent Indian kids like me, but all we got were Parvati and Padma Patil's atrocious Yule Ball outfits
- Manchester United owners are getting drawn to the world's biggest cricket league – here's why
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- Dream 11 parent Dream Sports to hire 200 people in India across various domains
- Snap's stock plummets by 22% as Apple’s iPhone privacy changes hit its advertising business
- Twitter now lets anyone on Android and iOS host Spaces
- PUBG: New State with ‘PC-like’ gameplay will officially launch on November 11
- Nykaa has added a skincare brand to its shopping cart, a week before its IPO