How to use IFCN’s WhatsApp fact checker to fight Coronavirus misinformation
- The International Fact-Checking Network has launched a
- The chatbot allows users to check whether the information received by them is authentic or not.
- Users can also use the IFCN chatbot to identify fact checkers near them.
WhatsApp has over 2 billion monthly active users and there have been several instances where the messaging app has been used to spread fake news. To help users stay safe during the Coronavirus pandemic, the Poynter Institute’s International Fact-Checking Network (IFCN) has launched a WhatsApp chatbot that allows them to fact check fake news.
How to fact check using IFCN’s WhatsApp chatbot
- To use the IFCN’s WhatsApp chatbot save the number on your phone – +1 (727) 29192606 or click here from your phone.
- Now, send ‘Hi’.
- You will get the available options and all you need to do is send a number as per the option you want.
1 – Search for fact checks
2 – Latest fact checks
3 – Tips to fight misinformation
4 – Find Fact-checkers near me
Advertisement5 – About us
6 – Privacy
- If you want to check if the information that you have received is fake, send ‘1’.
- Now, send the keywords or a sentence about the news.
- The chatbot will reply with related results.
“Since January, IFCN’s CoronavirusFacts Alliance has been utilizing the capacity of the fact-checking community to help users to sort truth from fiction by debunking falsehoods around the COVID-19 pandemic. The IFCN chatbot will allow users to search for fact checks and get connected with fact-checkers in their countries from their smartphones. The chatbot will also serve as a way to direct people to their local fact-checkers’ websites.” said Baybars Orsek, IFCN's Director.
WhatsApp will now have its own fact-checking bot to curb misinformation around COVID-19
One of the internet's oldest fact-checking organizations is overwhelmed by coronavirus misinformation - and it could have deadly consequences
How to fact check fake news on WhatsApp
Facebook working with 8 third-party fact checkers to flag misinformation around COVID-19
Popular on BI
- L&T, Tata Power, Jet Airways, Biocon and other stocks that are in focus on December 3
- Alibaba, Tencent, and other Chinese players are betting big on the metaverse — but the government is yet to buy into the hype
- Anand Rathi IPO was subscribed 160% on Day 1, today is the second day to subscribe
- Last day to subscribe to Tega Industries’ IPO — GMP at ₹410
- Best smart speaker with Alexa-support for home in India