Apple 'doesn't give a damn' that Russia stole Ukraine's heart
- Apple Maps and Weather apps on iPhones in Russia now show Crimea as a part of Russian territory.
- Ukraine’s foreign minister, Vadym Prystaiko, reacted with a tweet saying Apple ‘doesn’t give a damn’ that Ukraine’s heart was stolen.
- According to the Russian government, Apple was only fulfilling its ‘obligations’.
It may have bought it goodwill with Russia but the action has gotten strong disapproval from the Ukrainian government.
The country’s foreign minister, Vadym Prystaiko, tweeted that it was as though Apple ‘didn’t give a damn’ that Ukraine had its heart stolen by Russia.
Let me explain in your terms, @Apple. Imagine you're crying out that your design & ideas, years of work & piece of… https://t.co/CWpcpetQP7— Vadym Prystaiko (@VPrystaiko) 1574872360000
The Ukrainian embassy in the US also tweeted its displeasure stating that they wouldn’t be giving Apple any ‘thanks’ this Thanksgiving.
We guess Ukrainians not giving any thanks to @Apple this #Thanksgiving! So let’s all remind Apple that… https://t.co/9Gri9kdt5P— UKR Embassy in USA (@UKRintheUSA) 1574878169000
The Russian government claims that it was an Apple representative that pointed out the “inaccuracy in displaying the Republic of Crimea and the city of Sevastopol”. In correcting that mistake, Apple was only fulfilling its “obligations”.
[Committee on Security and Corruption Control head] Vasilii Piskarev noted that Apple fulfilled its obligations and brought the applications on its devices in compliance with the requirements of the Russian legislation.
The fight over Crimea
The region of Crimea has been disputed territory between the two nations since 2014 when Russian troops invaded the peninsula. The act was condemned internationally.
The international community cried foul yet again pointing out that the referendum was illegal and illegitimate.
As a result of these incursions, Russia was ousted from the G8 and many countries imposed sanctions as a way to retaliate.
Facebook's ex-security boss Alex Stamos slams Apple as 'shameful' for changing its maps to suit a demand from the Russian government
- Sansera Engineering IPO — How to check allotment status, listing date and more
- The collapse of Evergrande, one of China’s largest home developers, is “not a Lehman moment” but the fear may haunt steel and metal stocks in India
- Amazon is investigating its lawyers for allegedly bribing Indian government officials
- Noise ropes in Taapsee Pannu as its brand ambassador for smart wearables
- Online fantasy gaming startup earns almost five times Dhoni's Chennai Super Kings
- Samsung's first F-series phone with 5G support, Galaxy F42, to launch soon
- 2021 Yamaha R15 V4.0, R15M, Aerox 155 launched in India — all you need to know
- Tara Sutaria to be the face of Olay India's premium skincare range