Google Maps lets you explore the cosmos like Star Trek — complete with a warp drive ‘whoosh’
Google Mapslets you explore space without having to step out of the house.
- It has added a new animation to their interplanetary exploration tool.
- The new animation feels a lot like the warp drive on
Star Trekor the starting sequence of Doctor Who.
A Reddit user spotted the animation change on Monday, that makes it feel like you’re actually travelling through space rather than just zooming in and zooming out of the solar system.
AdvertisementAside from planets, users can also roam about the International Space Station (ISS), the dwarf planet Ceres, Jupiter’s moons and, of course, the Moon.
The maps are a result of half a million pictures collected by Cassini-Huygens mission during its 20-year lifespan. Even though the terrain isn’t as detailed as Earth, you can still spot the craters on Mercury and the mountain ranges on Venus.
The only catch is that Google Maps’
Here’s how to explore space with Google Maps:
- Open Google Maps in your Chrome browser. It will also work on non-Chrome browsers — just not as well.
- At In the left-bottom corner of the screen, there should be a square box which reads ‘Maps’. Click on it to switch over to ‘Satellite’ view.
- On the right-hand side, there should be a little toggle that looks like Earth. Click on the ‘Globe View’ button.
- Zoom out all the way, as far as you can go.
- Once you’ve zoomed out to the maximum, a menu will show up will all your possible destinations within the solar system.
- Click on any of the options and start your journey through space.
NASA satellite captures a picture of India’s largest salt producer from space
Space enthusiast helps NASA locate Vikram lander's crash site on the moon
The trash in outer space makes way for a new kind of map
Popular on BI
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- Chinese smartphone brands under scrutiny, government to check components, pre-installed apps: Report
- Bollywood actor Shah Rukh's son Aryan Khan's bail plea rejected in cruise ship drugs case
- Jubilant FoodWorks slips 8% on weak store sales of Domino’s Pizza
- When Karisma Kapoor played Geet from Jab We Met for Dunzo Daily
- Indian employees to get the biggest salary hikes amongst Asia-Pacific countries next year
- Ola S1 and S1 Pro test rides to begin on November 10