Meta halts development of smartwatch citing cost cuts and technological challenges
- After scaling down its metaverse ambitions,
Metahas reportedly halted development of its rumoured smartwatch.
- The smartwatch had WiFi, GPS, music playback and much more, suggest rumours.
- Meta has also stopped the development of an operating system for Oculus and AR/VR glasses.
AdvertisementCalifornia-based tech giant and Facebook parent company Meta has halted the development of the smartwatch. According to the media reports, Meta is now shifting focus on other wearable devices.
As per Reuters, cost cuts and technological challenges played a major role in the company’s decision to halt the development of the smartwatch. Also, citing business slowdown, the company hinted that its annual expenses may decrease by $3 billion this year.
Meta has also stopped the development of an operating system Oculus and AR/ VR glasses.
Rumoured features of
The smartwatch was in development for at least two years and was designed to include common features of smartwatches such as music playback, messaging, activity tracking and much more.
As per Bloomberg report, the prototype of the smartwatch has a dual camera. One camera was reportedly located below the display and the other sat on the backside of the watch. The second camera was designed in such a way that users could remove the watch face from the strap to quickly take the picture.
The second camera that sat on the backside of the watch caused issues as it was located around other critical components of the watch.
Earlier, Meta executives had discussed the potential of smartwatches. According to them, with the help of Meta smartwatch, users could interact with other avatars in Metaverse. Sensors in the watch could have potential to control their avatar similar to AR/ VR headsets.
The Meta smartwatch was Milan and it was originally set for release in spring 2023.
The tech giant has invested heavily in Reality Labs, in order to develop next-gen augmented reality, smart glasses and much more.
How to install iOS 16 and customize your lock screen on iPhone
These iOS 16 features will be limited to only a few iPhones – check the details here
Popular on BI
- A Google employee of 11 years says he and his wife stared at each other in 'disbelief' when they realized they'd both been laid off by the company
- A Google engineer of 8 years says his 'spidey-senses' detected incoming layoffs — and felt 'isolated' when his 'faceless' severance email arrived
- 6 signs that you're in a one-sided relationship and how to find balance
- Google may release Pixel Tablet Pro with Tensor G2 chip
- BMW launches its 3rd gen BMW X1 in India
- YouTube Music on the web gets mood filters
- Premium segment contributed 35% of overall smartphone market revenue in 2022
- US industry urges FM to rationalise, simplify direct and indirect taxes in India