Microsoft says its Windows 10 operating system has surpassed 1 billion 'monthly active devices'
- Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system is now in use by more than 1 billion "monthly active devices," the company said Monday.
- The milestone comes after Microsoft ended support for Windows 7 and encouraged users to upgrade to Windows 10.
- The Windows business last quarter had what appears to be its best quarter since Satya Nadella became CEO.
- Microsoft, though, says it won't hit its revenue forecast this quarter for the business segment that includes Windows due to the coronavirus outbreak's impacts on its supply chain.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Microsoft on Monday said its Windows 10 operating system is now in use by more than 1 billion "monthly active devices."
The milestone comes after Microsoft ended support for Windows 7 - its operating system that was used on millions of PCs since its launch in 2009 - and encouraged users to upgrade to Windows 10 or buy new PCs that come preinstalled with it.
The end of Windows 7 was such a boost that it helped lead to what appears to be the best quarter for its Windows business since Satya Nadella became CEO in 2014 and started refocusing the company on the cloud.
Microsoft last month said it won't hit its revenue forecast this quarter as disruptions from the coronavirus outbreak take a toll on its businesses licensing Windows software to PC makers and its in-house Surface hardware division. Wall Street analysts told Business Insider at the time they expect Microsoft to recoup the lost sales in later quarters.
Got a tip? Contact this reporter via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, message her on Twitter @ashannstew, or send her a secure message through Signal at 425-344-8242.
- Demand for private credit booms in 2023 as funding winter deepens
- Oppo Find N3 Flip long term review - The end game for flip smartphones
- Hiring activity for white-collar jobs dips 12% during Oct-Nov
- ED files first charge sheet against Chinese smartphone maker Vivo-India, others
- Redmi 13C 5G vs Redmi 12 5G – Battle of the budget Redmi smartphones