Does Facebook Portal work with Messenger? Yes, here's how you can use Facebook's messaging app and video-calling devices together
- You can use a Facebook
Portaldevice with Messengerto call certain contacts.
- Not all features of the Messenger chat app are available on Portal devices.
- Portal is a series of specialized tablets and video-calling devices made by Facebook that feature an enhanced camera and speaker.
Portal, Facebook's proprietary tablet, is explicitly geared to video chatting with your cadre of Facebook contacts.
That includes your Messenger contacts, an advantage for those Facebook users who spend more time on the chat app than the social media platform.Despite being a Facebook-made device, it's not a requirement to have Facebook Messenger to use your Portal. However, Messenger has incorporated cool additional features into your Portal calls that make linking your account worth it.
How to use a Facebook Portal with MessengerHere's a rundown of how Messenger can — and in some cases can't — factor into your Portal experience.
You can use a Portal to call Messenger contacts who have a Facebook account
If a Messenger contact of yours has a Facebook account, you can use a Portal device to call the contact.
You can't use a Portal to call Messenger contacts who don't have a Facebook accountGone are the days when having a Facebook account was necessary to run Messenger. Independent of a Facebook account, you can use a Messenger account to upload photos, videos, initiate group chats, and more.
There is still one thing you can't do, though, and that's receive or make calls from a Portal device. Yes, while it may seem counterintuitive, it's a no-go to call Messenger connections that don't have Facebook accounts.
You can't use Messenger Kids and Parental Controls on PortalMessenger Kids has grown in popularity and expanded into even more regions. Despite this growth, Portal users remain unable to make calls to Messenger Kids accounts. That's because Portal requires you to have a Facebook account, and that requires users be 13 years of age or older.
You can use Messenger's AR filters on PortalPortal has support for Messenger's array of augmented reality masks, which are small in number but still options for those who want to use them. Plus, there are plans for the library to expand sometime next year, thanks to Facebook's decision to allow independent creators to contribute AR cosmetics to the platform.
You can use Messenger Rooms on Portal
Facebook brought Messenger Rooms to Portal this year, which allows an audience of multiple callers to enter a hangout space via the Portal. With it, you'll be able to join or host a room on Portal with up to 50 people.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
- IMF projects 11.5% growth rate for India in 2021, only major economy to record double digit growth
- Connaught Place to remain shut as farmers' tractor parade turns violent
- After violent clashes with police, farmers swarm Red Fort
- DMRC closed entry and exit gates of yellow, green, violet and blue lines in surge of farmers protest
- Delhi Police fires tear-gas shells on farmers near Akshardham temple and Sanjay Gandhi Transport Nagar