How to add Grammarly to Microsoft Word and edit documents through the software plugin or desktop app
- You can add
Grammarlyto Wordby downloading the Microsoft Officeplugin or through Microsoft AppSource.
- You can also install the Grammarly desktop app on your Mac or PC and drag-and-drop your Word document into the app.
Grammarly has become a popular digital writing tool for eliminating and protecting against everything from poor writing in rushed emails to bad structuring in your dissertation.
Launched in 2009, its dynamic algorithms cover a wide range of context-based text editing issues like basic spelling and grammar errors, but also word usage, sentence style, wordiness, and punctuation. Users can also upgrade to paid subscription tiers for individuals or businesses, and receive assistance with more complex issues like fluency, tone, clarity, plagiarism, and more.If you're looking for something that goes deeper than Microsoft Word's spelling and grammar tool, this freemium subscription is the right for you.
How to use Grammarly with Microsoft WordGrammarly offers several ways to use its services, from a browser-based website and extensions to desktop apps and a mobile keyboard.
You can edit your Word doc with Grammarly directly in the Microsoft program or drag and drop your Word doc into the Grammarly desktop app for quick assistance on edits.The Grammarly desktop app for PC is compatible with Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10. For Mac, the device should be updated to macOS 10.9 or higher.
Since Microsoft Word is a separate system, you'll need to have a subscription to Microsoft Office in order to purchase or download extensions onto Word. For an "Add-in" to be successfully added, you have to have Microsoft Office 2007, '10, '13, '16, or '19 for compatible operation on Windows. On Mac, it's strongly suggested to have Microsoft Office version 16 or higher.If you want to use Grammarly alongside Word's spelling and grammar checker, here's how you can do it.
How to install the Grammarly plugin for Word
- Go to the Grammarly website and click "Get the add-in" to download the free MS Office Grammarly plugin.
- After it finishes downloading, click the file in the bottom left of your browser window.
Quick tip: The language may be slightly different on depending on whether you're using a Mac or PC, Chrome, Edge, or Firefox, but you will still need to open the downloaded file.
- In the welcome window that appears, select "Get Started."
- Click the box next to Grammarly for Word to ensure you download it.
Quick tip: You can also check the Grammarly for Outlook box if you want to add the extension to the Microsoft email client.
- Choose "Install."
- After it finishes installing, select "Finish."
- Launch Word and open either a blank or existing document.
- On the Home tab, click Open Grammarly.
Quick tip: The Home tab in Word is the default tab when you open a document.
- The Grammarly window will appear on the right. Click "Log in."
- A new browser tab or window will appear with the Grammarly log in page loaded. Enter your username and password, then click "Sign in."
Quick tip: You can also log in to your Grammarly account using Facebook, Google, or App log ins.
- Click the Word icon in the desktop taskbar. You should now see Grammarly working.
An alternative way to install Grammarly for WordThere are two ways you can add Grammarly to your Microsoft Office Word software. You can also visit Microsoft AppSource and search for Grammarly. Once the app appears in the search results, click "Get It Now."
When a pop-up window appears, click "Continue" before hitting "Open in Word" to launch the add-in. To confirm it's been added to Word, open a new Word document and look for the Open Grammarly option in the Home tab.
How to drag and drop Word docs into the Grammarly desktop app for Windows
- Go to the Grammarly website and click "Download Grammarly for Windows."
- After it's finished downloading, click the Grammarly download link at the bottom of your browser window.
- Once it's loaded, the Grammarly app icon will flash in your taskbar. Click it to open the application.
- Click "Sign in."
- Enter your username and password.
- You'll be redirected to a new page where you should click the "Open Grammarly" button to be taken back to the Grammarly desktop app for Windows.
- Either download or go to the file location of the Word document you want to edit in Grammarly. Drag the file from its folder location and hold it over the Grammarly icon.
- You will see an import screen before the document appears in Grammarly.
Quick tip: You can download the document from Grammarly after you're finished editing to preserve its format.
How to drag and drop Word docs into the Grammarly desktop app for Mac
- Go to the Grammarly website and click "Download Grammarly for Mac."
- Click the Grammarly download link at the bottom of your browser window.
- Once it's loaded, an application window will appear. Click the Grammarly icon and drag it on top of the folder to its right.
- Exit out of the window and click on the Finder icon in the dock.
- Open your Applications menu and locate the Grammarly app.
- Click on the app icon and drag it into the dock.
- Either download or go to the file location of the Word document you want to edit in Grammarly. Drag the file from its folder location and drop it over the Grammarly icon.
Quick tip: If you are signed into the Grammarly desktop app already, the doc will immediately load. If you aren't, you'll be prompted to sign in through a web browser.
- Notified new policy on rare diseases, approved budget of Rs 25 crore for treatment: Centre to HC
- Former PM Manmohan Singh admitted to AIIMS after testing positive for COVID-19
- If you are 18 years or older, you can get a COVID-19 vaccine from May 1
- India is promoting a new internet protocol— the government is offering help for websites to migrate
- SaaS unicorn Druva, which manages data for NASA, Pfizer, and GameStop, raises $147 million; valuation crosses $2 billion