How to change the default search engine on your computer or phone
- You can change your web browser's
search enginethrough the browser's settings on your computer or the app or system settings on your phone.
- Your browser's search engine is what it uses to find anything you type into the URL bar.
- Nearly every browser lets you change between at least
Bing, and Yahoo.
If you've ever found a new website, it was almost certainly by using a search engine like Google or Bing.
But every user has a search engine they like best. And if your browser isn't using that one, surfing the web can get frustrating.
Luckily, every web browser lets you change your search engine. They all offer at least Google, Bing, and Yahoo, and most will give a few more options too.
Here's how to change the search engine on your Mac, PC, iPhone/iPad, or Android device.
How to change the search engine on your Mac or PC
The steps you'll take to change your browser's search engine depend on which browser you're using. But in general, you should open your browser's Settings or Preferences menu, then click Search. You'll find the options to change your search engine there.
1. Open Chrome and click the stacked three dots in the top-right corner.
2. Select Settings, then click Search engine in the left sidebar.
3. Use the Search engine used in the address bar option to select which search engine you want to use.
1. Open Edge and click the three dots in the top-right corner, then select Settings.
2. On the page that opens, click Privacy, search, and services in the left sidebar.
3. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Address bar and search.
4. Use the Search engine used in the address bar option to pick your search engine.
1. Open Firefox and click the three stacked lines in the top-right corner.
2. Select Settings, then click Search in the left sidebar.
3. Use the drop-down menu under Default Search Engine to pick your browser's search engine.
1. Open Safari and click Safari in the top-left corner of your screen.
2. Select Preferences, and then click Search at the top of the menu that opens.
3. Use the Search engine: drop-down menu to pick your browser's new search engine.
How to change the search engine on your iPhone, iPad, or Android
iPhone and iPad
The default web browser on Apple devices is Safari. You can customize it with the Settings app.
1. Open the Settings app and scroll down to select Safari.
2. Tap Search Engine, then select the search engine you want to use.
You can also download the Edge, Firefox, and Chrome apps. To change the search engine in those apps, open their in-app Settings menus.
Different Android devices have different default
1. Open the Google Chrome app and tap the three stacked dots in the top-right corner, then select Settings.
2. Under Basics, tap Search engine.
3. Select your new search engine.
If you use a different browser app, check that app's Settings menu.
- Xiaomi is worried that investigations in India might affect it cash flows, operating results
- Delhi and Kolkata are the two most polluted cities in the world: Report
- There is a yawning gap between the confidence of consumers and businesses
- TikTok’s in-app browser on iOS includes code that can monitor your keystrokes and taps
- Couch and Surf: What’s streaming on OTT this weekend?