How to delete saved passwords on your Mac computer, either one-by-one or all at once
- You can delete saved
passwordson a Macby opening the KeychainAccess app.
passwordthat's used to access an application on your Mac can be saved to Keychain Access, which is a password manager built into the computer.
- You may want to delete a saved password if you no longer use the account or don't want to have that password on file.
When you enter a password into Safari, and your Mac offers to save it, it'll be saving it to an app called Keychain Access. This is useful if you don't want to remember every password you have.
But Keychain Access isn't all automatic — if you don't want to save a password anymore, you can delete it at any time.
Here's how to delete a password from your Mac.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
Apple Macbook Pro (From $1,299.00 at Apple)
How to delete saved passwords on a Mac
Before anything, note that after you delete a password, it can't be recovered — to save it again, you'll need to log in with it the same way you did when you first saved it.
1. Open Keychain Access. You can find it in your Launchpad, or by searching for it.
2. In the pop-up window that appears, you'll find all of your saved passwords. You can click the categories in the left panel to filter the results by password type and other criteria.
If you can't find a password here, it means that it's either not saved, or you saved it to another password manager — like in Google Chrome.
3. When you find the password you want to delete, right-click on it. Select the "Delete" option.
4. You can also select multiple items by holding down the Command key as you click, and then right-clicking to delete them all. Use the Command + A function to select all of your passwords at once.
5. Additionally, you can delete specific details of a saved password. Double-click on a password to open a smaller pop-up for the site you'd like to change.
6. Click the empty check box next to "Show password." This will prompt you to enter your general computer password as an extra security measure.
7. You can now view your password. Delete it or change it to something else by clicking in the box. You won't be able to click "Save Changes" until a change has been made. You also can't leave the box empty.
8. Finally, you can delete a particular application associated with the password. Click the second tab at the top to go to "Access Control."
9. Highlight the application you want to delete and click the minus (-) sign. This will remove it.
Some passwords may have multiple websites associated with them, such as university logins that feature multiple pages. If the password is only associated with one site, removing the site essentially deletes the password from your Keychain as well.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
'What is a keychain password?': How to navigate Apple's Keychain Access app and change your password
How to reset your Apple ID password in 3 different ways if you've forgotten it or lost your device
How often you should change your passwords, according to cybersecurity experts
6 tips to create a strong password for any site, and keep your data secure
How to turn off the password on an iPhone, which disables both the passcode and Face ID
- Durjoy Datta tweets about Paytm UPI LITE making payments faster and easier, fellow author Ravinder Singh responds
- OnePlus Nord CE 3 leaks ahead of launch – specs, expected launch date and more
- JPMorgan Chase thought it had $1.3 million worth of nickel stored in a warehouse. A closer examination revealed bags of stones.
- Meet Rekha Rakesh Jhunjhunwala, the top Indian entrant in 2023 M3M Hurun Global Rich List
- Cyrus Poonawalla’s wealth grows as his health empire remains unlisted
- Adani Airports following investments as per plans submitted to govt: CEO
- Chinese leader Xi Jinping departs Russia but fails to achieve breakthrough in Ukraine conflict
- Healthcare, consumer goods minted the most Indian dollar billionaires