How to get rid of the Google Meet function in the Gmail mobile app and remove the video-chat icon from your inbox
Google Meetfunction directly within the Gmailapp.
- For those who don't use Google Meet frequently, the new icon and inbox layout are disruptive to quickly navigating the app.
- You can get rid of the Meet video icon from the Gmail app's bottom-left corner by removing it through the app's Settings menu.
As remote work has spiked across the world during 2020, tech companies like Google have leaned more into expanding and updating their
Google recently added an icon for the virtual meeting software right underneath the Gmail app's compose button. This is a convenient tool for those whose work and personal lives require them to make many video calls, particularly if they don't have their computer on hand.Of course, for those who don't need to host or attend a lot of virtual meetings, this newly added feature is kind of inconvenient. You can find yourself frequently tapping it on accident and having to exit the Meet menu, especially if you're not paying attention. It also takes up a portion of your screen that was previously used for email display.
Here's how to do it.
How to get rid of the Meet function in the Gmail app1. In the Gmail app, tap the three-lined icon in the top right corner to bring up a menu.
2. Scroll down and tap Settings.3. In the Settings menu, select your Gmail account name. 4. Under General, toggle the switch next to Meet to the off position.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
- Pidilite shares surge as the 61-year old company acquires Araldite maker for ₹2,100 crore
- Chennai lashed with rainfall, many roads waterlogged
- Pinterest stock soars 23% as the social media platform garners 442 million global monthly active users
- Top stock movers — Bharti Airtel, RBL Bank, Pidilite, Titan, Hero Motocorp, Asian Paints, TCS, L&T and others
- Manforce Condoms aims to capture 50% market share by 2023