How to insert an em dash into your text using a keyboard shortcut on Mac or PC
- The em dash
keyboardshortcut differs depending on if you're using a Macor PC.
- On a PC, you can use an Emoji keyboard or type the "Alt Code," Alt + 0151.
- On a Mac, you simply need to use the Option, Shift, and Minus keys.
I'll admit it — I'm nerdy enough to have opinions about grammar, especially about the em dash. Ah, the em dash — a punctuation mark so spectacular, the entire keyboard wasn't enough to contain its glory.If you're among the uninitiated and have no idea what I'm talking about: the em dash (the — symbol here) might just be the most superior punctuation mark there is. The em dash can tie independent clauses together like a sailor's knot, represent interruptions in thought, and more. If you can think it, the emdash can do it.
It's not, however, found on most
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to use the em dash keyboard shortcut on a PCThere are two options for the em dash keyboard shortcut on Windows operating systems:
- The Windows emoji keyboard. The Windows emoji keyboard is an on-screen keyboard that allows you to type emojis instead of letters. Press the Windows key and the period (.) at the same time to open it, then select the Symbols icon. You can pick out and click on the em dash from there.
- Alt codes. Alt codes are basically keyboard shortcuts that don't require you to press many keys at once, but instead require that you hold down the Alt key and then type a specific, multi-digit code on your numpad. To make an em dash, press and hold Alt, then type 0151.
Sadly, alt codes don't work on many laptop keyboards — you'll need to have a numpad to use them. If you're using a laptop that doesn't have a numpad, you'll need to use the Windows emoji keyboard method.
How to use the em dash keyboard shortcut on a MacMac operating systems all have the same shortcut for the em dash, which makes the process quick and simple. Press Option + Shift + Minus (that's -, the key right next to 0 at the top of your keyboard). The em dash will appear immediately.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
- Equitas Small Finance Bank IPO allotment: Here’s how to check share allotment status
- K'taka healthcare warriors first to get Covid vaccine: Minister
- Cong, BJP in K'taka cross swords over vaccine promise
- AISAM likely to take key decisions on Air India divestment on Saturday
- HC stays Delhi government's decision asking 12 DU colleges to pay staff salaries from students fund