How to keep your screen on when your laptop is closed
- You can keep your
screenon when your laptopis closed by altering the laptop's power settings.
- In Windows, open the Control Panel and go to Power Options to set what happens when the lid is closed.
- If you have a Mac, open System Preferences and go to the Power Adapter section of the Battery preferences.
Most people want their laptop to go to sleep when the lid is closed, and so that's how both Windows and the MacOS are designed to work. But if your laptop is connected to an external display, then you probably want the screen to stay on when the laptop is closed. The good news: Even though that's not the default, you can tell your computer to remain on when it's in a closed position.
How to keep a Windows laptop on when it's closed
1. In the Start search box, type "Control" and click Control Panel when you see it appear in the search results.
2. In the Control Panel's search box, type "power" and then click Power Options when you see it appear.
3. In the navigation pane on the left, click Choose what closing the lid does.
4. In the Power and sleep buttons and lid settings, find When I close the lid. There are two settings here: while on battery and plugged in. Set either or both of those to Do nothing.
5. Click Save changes.
6. If it isn't already, connect the laptop to an external monitor and close the lid.
Quick tip: Most of the time, you'll want to set On battery to Sleep and Plugged in to Do nothing, because you'll probably have your laptop plugged into power if it's connected to an external display.
How to keep a MacBook on when it's closed
1. Click the Apple icon at the top left and then choose System Preferences…
2. Click Battery.
3. Click the Power Adapter tab on the left side of the window and then, in the Turn display off after section, drag the slider to the right to Never.
4. Click the checkbox for Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off.
5. Make sure your Mac is plugged into power and connect it to an external display.
- A 29-year-old woman found a mark on her head and was diagnosed with a fungal infection. It turned out to be invasive skin cancer.
- Elon Musk told his 76-year-old dad Errol to 'keep quiet' in a text message after he said he wasn't proud of his son, report says
- JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon told wealthy clients there's a chance the US is heading into 'something worse' than a recession, report says
- Nepotism and termite-like corruption dented India : Modi
- Modi lists five pledges to turn India into a developed country in 25 years
- There will be a major shift in the way Indians shop and consume brands
- Modi remembers Nehru and Sarvarkar in his speech today
- Made-in-India gun used for 1st time for ceremonial salute at Red Fort on Independence Day