How to reset an iPhone that you don't have the password for
- You can
resetan iPhone, even without the password, by putting it into "recovery mode" or erasing it via Find My.
- If you don't know what an iPhone's password is or it's been disabled, you'll have to reset it to use it.
- Once you've reset your iPhone, you can use an
iCloudbackup to restore its data.
View all Offers
iPhones are notoriously difficult to break into. If you have a unique passcode set up, it's almost impossible for someone to get in without your permission.
But this also works the other way around. If you need to open an iPhone but don't have the password, or it's disabled, the only way to unlock it is to
Luckily, there are two ways to reset an iPhone without using its password.
How to reset an iPhone using Finder or iTunes
Firstly, you can use a computer. If you've got a Mac you'll be using Finder, and if you've got a PC you'll be using
1. Turn the iPhone off. The exact way to do this will depend on what kind of iPhone you have:
|iPhone model||How to turn off|
|iPhone 12s, iPhone 11s, iPhone X/XR/XS, iPhone 8s, and iPhone SE (second generation)||Press and hold the Lock and Volume Down buttons until the power slider appears on screen, then swipe it.|
|iPhone SE (first generation), iPhone 7 Plus, and earlier||Press and hold the Lock button until the power slider appears on screen, then swipe it.|
2. Once your iPhone is off, plug it into your computer and put it into recovery mode. To do this, you'll need to press a certain combination of buttons:
|iPhone model||Buttons to press for recovery mode|
|iPhone 12s, iPhone 11s, iPhone X/XR/XS, iPhone 8s, and iPhone SE (second generation)||Press and release Volume Up, then press and release Volume Down, then press and hold the Lock button.|
|iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus||Press and hold the Lock and Volume Down buttons.|
|iPhone SE (first generation), iPhone 6S, and earlier||Press and hold the Lock and Home buttons.|
3. Keep holding the button(s) until the recovery mode screen appears. It'll have a picture of a laptop with a charging cable.
4. Once ready, open
5. You'll be shown a message saying that the iPhone has a "problem" and needs to be updated or restored. Select Restore.
6. Keep your iPhone connected to the computer as it resets and restores the iPhone. This could take up to 20 minutes, so be patient.
Once the process finishes, turn your iPhone on and set it up like a new device. When you're asked if you'd like to restore data from a backup, feel free to sign into iCloud and do so.
How to reset an iPhone using Find My
If you have an Apple ID account, your iPhone is probably connected to Find My, Apple's global device tracking network. This service also lets you reset and erase your iPhone without having the password for it.
1. On a computer, go to iCloud's website and log into your account.
Quick note: If you can't log into iCloud because you don't have a trusted device or working phone anymore, you'll need to contact Apple for help recovering your account.
2. In the main menu, click Find iPhone.
3. You'll be given a map of all your devices. Click All Devices at the top and then select your iPhone.
4. In the pop-up menu that appears, click Erase iPhone, and then confirm your choice.
As long as your iPhone is on and connected to the internet, it'll be reset immediately.
- WhatsApp won’t work on these phones from November 1: Check the full list
- Shiba Inu hits another all-time-high — now more valuable than Adani Enterprises, Tata Steel and Tech Mahindra
- Shiba Inu is not only bigger than Dogecoin — it’s now bigger than XRP, Polkadot and USD Coin as the seventh-biggest player in the market
- Best budget external hard disk drives under ₹4,000 in India
- IRCTC will lose a chunk of its revenue to the Indian government starting next month
- EaseMyTrip makes its first acquisition in 13 years to strengthen its hotel offerings
- Portugal''s political fate uncertain after govt budget defeat
- Battlegrounds Mobile India gets Dune-themed rewards in new crossover