How to turn on handwashing detection on your Apple Watch to track your handwashing activity
- You can turn on handwashing detection on an
Apple Watchvia the watch's Settings app or your iPhone's Watch app.
- The latest version of the
AppleWatch's operating system, watchOS 7, can automatically detect when you're washing your hands.
- Handwashing detection runs a 20-second timer to help you wash your hands for the minimum amount of time recommended by the World Health Organization.
With a heightened emphasis on health and hygiene in the news, the latest version of the Apple Watch's operating system, watchOS 7, now includes a handwashing detection feature. It automatically senses when you're washing your hands and provides a helpful timer to ensure you keep washing for the time recommended by the World Health Organization — 20 seconds.
As long as you have a compatible version of the Apple Watch, detection is automatic, based on a combination of hand movement and the sound of running water. It's not foolproof, but should automatically detect handwashing the vast majority of the time.
How to check if your Apple Watch has handwashing capabilityTo turn on handwashing detection, you need to have an Apple Watch Series 4 or higher. Older watches lack the microphone needed to listen for running water. You also need to be running watchOS 7. Your watch should update automatically, but you can also check manually.Advertisement
1. On your iPhone, start the Watch app and tap "General."
2. Tap "Software Update."3. You should be running watchOS 7. If not, you can install the latest update from this screen.
How to turn on handwashing detection on a compatible Apple Watch
1. On your watch, press the Digital Crown to see a list of your installed apps.2. Tap the Settings app. 3. Scroll down and tap "Handwashing."Advertisement
4. Turn it on by swiping the button to the right.
5. Your watch will detect when you're washing your hands, and a timer will appear.
How to turn on handwashing detection on Apple Watch using an iPhoneIf you prefer, you can turn on handwashing detection using your phone. Turning it on from your phone gives you an additional setup option. Advertisement
1. Start the Watch app on your iPhone.
2. Scroll down and tap "Handwashing."3. Turn on "Handwashing Timer" by swiping the button to the right. Advertisement
4. If you want to be reminded to wash your hands when you return home, turn on "Handwashing Reminders" by swiping the button to the right.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
- Buy the best table runners
- HM commanders channelised drug smuggling money in J&K to support terror activities: NIA
- What is gender lens investing? Sangita Reddy, Kiran Mazumdar Shaw, Nandini Piramal, and Vani Kola share their thoughts
- Luxury icons Sabyasachi and Oberoi open up about their 'perfectionist quirks' like checking the color of egg yolks and slashing clothes so they can’t hit the edit table
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi warns against complacency in the fight against COVID-19