How to update a Windows computer manually, or pause automatic updates so your PC won't restart
- You can update
Windowsthrough the "Update & Security" section of your computer's Settings app.
- By default
Windows 10downloads and installs updatesautomatically, but you can check for updates manually as well.
- If you want to stop Windows from updating, you can pause updates for about a month at a time.
In Windows' earlier days, keeping your computer updated was a chore. This made it easy for viruses to spread, and it sometimes seemed like no two computers ran Windows in the same way.
Luckily, Windows 10 makes updates almost effortless. By default, Windows 10 should be downloading and offering updates automatically (although you may need to restart the computer on your own).If you think there might be an
How to update Windows manuallyWindows 10 is designed to automatically install updates in the background, without any input from you. Even so, you can check for updates and make Windows install them right away.
This can come in handy if you need a new feature that's in an optional update, or if you're troubleshooting a problem with Windows and the latest update might resolve the issue.1. Click Start (or press the Windows key) and then click "Settings."
2. In the Settings window, click "Update & Security."3. To check for an update, click "Check for updates." 4. If there 's an update ready to install, it should appear under the "Check for updates" button. Click "Download and install."
You'll need to restart your computer to install any update, so make sure all your work is saved before installing.
How to stop Windows from updating
Windows updates are turned on by default, and it's not possible to "permanently" disable Windows updates in Windows 10 without disabling important system settings.But it is possible to disable automatic updates temporarily, for up to about a month at a time, if you need to prevent updates from happening for some reason.
1. Click Start (or press the Windows key) and then click "Settings."
2. In the Settings window, click "Update & Security."3. Click "Advanced options."
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
- IMF projects 11.5% growth rate for India in 2021, only major economy to record double digit growth
- Connaught Place to remain shut as farmers' tractor parade turns violent
- After violent clashes with police, farmers swarm Red Fort
- DMRC closed entry and exit gates of yellow, green, violet and blue lines in surge of farmers protest
- Delhi Police fires tear-gas shells on farmers near Akshardham temple and Sanjay Gandhi Transport Nagar