How to update your Nintendo Switch controllers to improve their accuracy and help reduce 'drift'
- To update your
Nintendo Switchcontrollers, you'll need to head to the System Settings menu.
- Nintendo occasionally releases new firmware for the Switch's controllers, which can improve their accuracy.
- Updating your Switch controllers might also help reduce "Joy-Con drift," an issue where the control sticks act as if they're constantly being pushed, even when left alone.
Joy-Con drift, as many Nintendo Switch players know, is an issue where the Joy-Con control sticks constantly act as if they're being moved, even if they're not being touched. It's become such an issue that it's sparked a lawsuit.
Although Nintendo offers free Joy-Con repairs, before you give up your controllers, you should try a simpler fix: updating your controllers.Along with Switch system updates, Nintendo occasionally releases
Here's how to check if your controllers have an update waiting, and how to update them.
How to update Nintendo Switch controllers
Before anything — if you're using an original Nintendo Switch, not a Switch Lite, make sure the
You should also make sure that your Switch has the latest system update installed.1. Open your Switch's homepage and select "System Settings" at the bottom of the screen. 2. Select "Controllers and Sensors" from the sidebar on the left. Advertisement
3. In the menu that opens on the right, scroll down and select "Update Controllers."
4. Your Switch will check the controllers to see if they're up-to-date. If they are, you'll be shown a message that says "All controllers are already up-to-date."5. If there's an update waiting, you'll have to wait a few moments as each controller is updated. Advertisement
If you've been having issues with your controllers, and updating them doesn't fix anything, be sure to contact Nintendo.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
- Delhi International Airport emerges as world's second safest airport amid coronavirus pandemic
- Former Tesla CIO raises $150 million for his SaaS automotive retail startup, enters the unicorn club
- Transparent Curtains To Refurbish Your Abode
- Enjoy Healthy Meals With These Non-stick Frying Pans
- US wants to scrap temporary business visas for H-1B speciality occupations