How to use emojis on Discord or add your own to a server
- You can add emojis to your
Discordtext by using the emoji menu or by typing out its name.
- You can also add custom emojis to a Discord server, provided you have the permission to do so.
- A Discord Nitro subscription allows you to use one server's custom emojis in another.
Emojis can be useful shorthand for tone and meaning in a virtual conversation. On Discord, they can be indispensable, depending on the group you're in.
If you're interested in adding emojis to your text in Discord, you can use the preloaded ones, or you can upload customized ones.
Here's what you need to know about how to use emojis in Discord, using either the desktop or browser apps for Mac and PC, or the mobile app for iPhone and Android devices.
How to use emojis on Discord
The easiest option is to use the emojis that are accessible with any Discord account. To do that, you have a few options.
First, you can use the emoji menu. In the desktop and browser apps, you can open this by clicking the gray smiley face on the right side of the message box.
In the mobile app, tap the gray smiley face on the left side of the message box.
The emoji menu contains both standard and Discord-exclusive emojis, as well as a section that tracks what emojis you've used the most.
Alternatively, you can type in the name of the emoji you want to use. Every emoji has a name, bracketed by colons, which you can find via the emoji menu. For example, is named :smile: and so on.
The other option you may wish to consider is uploading your own custom emojis to your Discord account.
How to add custom emojis to a Discord server
The process is simple, assuming you have permission to add them to the server. Discord will even resize images of up to 128x128 pixels so that they fit the required specifications.
Be aware that you're capped at 50 custom emojis slots per server by default. If you want more emoji slots, you'll need to have users with Discord Nitro accounts on the server to "boost'' the available slots. If enough users boost your server, you can add up to 250 custom emojis.
Note: If you don't have a Discord Nitro account, you can only use these custom emojis in the server they've been uploaded to. You'll need to pay for a Nitro account to use them in other servers, or use animated emojis.
How to add custom emojis using the browser or desktop app
To upload your own emojis, you'll need to use the browser or desktop version of Discord.
1. Open the server you want to upload an emoji to, and then click the dropdown arrow next to the server's name in the top-left corner of the screen.
2. Select Server Settings.
3. Click Emojis in the left sidebar and then select Upload Emoji.
4. Select your image and add it to your server.
How to add custom emojis using the mobile app
You can also add emojis to a Discord server using the mobile app.
1. Open the Discord app on your Android or iOS device.
2. Select the Discord server you want to add the custom emoji to and then tap on the ellipses (three dots) in the top right.
3. Tap on Settings or the gear icon.
4. In the settings, tap on Emoji.
5. Tap the Upload Emoji button.
6. Select the image you want to use and tap on Choose.
How to remove custom emojis from Discord
If there's a particular custom emoji you want to get rid of, the process is quite straightforward as well.
1. Go to Discord in your preferred browser on PC or Mac or open the desktop app.
2. While in the Discord server with the custom emoji you want to delete, click on the dropdown arrow next to the server's name.
3. From the list of options in the dropdown, click on Server Settings.
4. In the left panel, select Emoji.
5. Hover over the emoji you want to delete and click on the red X button that appears on the right.
- Astronomers find planet that seems too humongous to be orbiting its parent star!
- Penguins employ thousands of microsleeps to achieve 11 hours' slumber daily!
- Ashok Gehlot: Magician leaves centre stage in Rajasthan
- Trauma made Abrar an 'Animal': Bobby Deol on his negative role
- Victory of Modi's guarantees, say BJP leaders as party sweeps states states