How to use private conversations on Skype to send encrypted calls and messages
- You can use private conversations on
Skypeto send messages or make calls that are encrypted end-to-end.
- You can launch a private conversation from the mobile or desktop app using the New Chat button.
- You can start secure private voice calls using the Call button from within a private text conversation.
If you use the Skype mobile app or desktop app, you can have private text conversations and voice calls. Private conversations have full end-to-end encryption, so they're more secure than standard messages.
Because they are designed to be secure, private conversations aren't copied or shared between devices in the same account, so you can't continue a private conversation on a different device.
How to start a private conversation on Skype on the desktop app1. Open the Skype app and click "New Chat."Advertisement
2. In the dropdown menu, choose "New Private Conversation."
3. In the pop-up window, choose the contact you want to chat with.4. If this is the first time you're having a private conversation with this person, an invitation will be sent automatically, and the conversation will start after the invite is accepted. If you've already had a private conversation with this person on this computer, you can start messaging right away.
How to start a private conversation on Skype on the mobile app
1. Open the Skype app and tap the New Chat icon (it's shaped like a pencil).2. On the New Chat page, choose "New Private Conversation." 3. Choose the contact you want to chat with. Advertisement
4. If this is the first time you're having a private conversation with this person, an invitation will be sent automatically, and the conversation will start after the invite is accepted. If you've already had a private conversation with this person on this phone, you can start messaging right away.
How to start a private voice call on the mobile app
1. Start or continue a private text conversation.2. From within the private conversation, tap the Call icon at the top right of the screen (it's shaped like a phone).Advertisement
3. In the pop-up window, choose "Private call."
How to end or delete a private conversation on Skype
1. Open the private conversation on your phone or computer.2. In the mobile app, tap and hold "Private" in the tabs at the top of the conversation. In the desktop app, right-click "Private."Advertisement
3. Choose "End private conversation" or "Delete private conversation," as appropriate.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
- Luxury icons Sabyasachi and Oberoi open up about their 'perfectionist quirks' like checking the color of egg yolks and slashing clothes so they can’t hit the edit table
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi warns against complacency in the fight against COVID-19
- Best budget smartphone deals under ₹20,000 in the Amazon Great Indian Festival Sale 2020
- EXCLUSIVE: Amazon AI executive explains three things every business needs to address before using machine learning
- Gionee launches new budget smartphone F8 Neo in India at ₹5,499