No, Twitter doesn't send notifications when you take fleet screenshots — here's what you need to know
- Twitter doesn't notify users when you take screenshots of their fleets.
- You can take screenshots of anyone's fleets without having to worry about them knowing.
- On the flip side, however, this means you won't get a notification when someone screenshots your fleets.
Fleets are Twitter's answer to Instagram Stories — they're temporary tweets that appear on your profile and at the top of the Twitter app, but disappear after 24 hours.
They're meant, Twitter has said, "for sharing momentary thoughts" and are intended to live "just for a moment in time."
But don't let fleets' ephemeral nature deceive you: Anyone can take a screenshot of your fleet and you won't be notified that it's been captured.
Twitter does not notify users of fleet screenshots — here's what to know
In short: if you or another person takes a screenshot of a fleet, no notifications will be sent. This means that you can screenshot other users' fleets without issue, but people can save yours as well.
Twitter hasn't mentioned this screenshotting feature (or lack thereof) at all. However, users noticed quickly, and they've been quick to point out that a fleet can't be temporary if anyone can save it with a screenshot.
One Twitter user tweeted a sort of public service announcement, warning creatives to watermark anything they choose to fleet because others can save and take it for themselves easily.
— MΞCHΛ RJ (@spininfinite) November 18, 2020
This lack of notifications makes Twitter stand out from other apps that have "Stories." Snapchat, for example, notifies you if someone takes a screenshot of your content on the app, including stories.
Like Twitter, Instagram doesn't notify for story screenshots, but it does notify for screenshots of photos and videos sent through direct messages, which Twitter does not at this time.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
- The 10-year Treasury yield will drop to 3.5% by the end of next year as the massive bond rally will continue, UBS says
- Instagram's crisis highlights the bigger issues the entire ad industry is facing
- Exit polls predict BJP advantage in MP, Rajasthan, Congress win in Chhattisgarh, Telangana and tight contest in Mizoram
- Delhi airport: Flights diverted due to bad smog, bad weather
- Meta expanding child safety measures as scrutiny mounts
- IPL has given me confidence to remain calm under pressure: Rinku Singh
- GST collection surges to 8-month high in November
- Environmental Impact Assessments