10 things in tech you need to know today
Good morning! This is the tech news you need to know this Friday.
- Facebook says it'll keep allowing misinformation in political ads - and it's up to users if they don't want to see them. The social media giant has also announced new features surrounding political and social issue ads on its platforms.
- Uber has stopped showing prices upfront in response to California's new gig-work law. The new law, which took effect this month, makes it harder for companies including Uber to classify drivers as contractors.
- A medical tech firm has filed a lawsuit against Apple for allegedly stealing tech used in the Apple Watch. Masimo also accused Apple of poaching its employees, Bloomberg reports.
- Google will let Android users in Europe choose a different default search engine and it's good news for privacy-focused DuckDuckGo. The new Android choice screen will start appearing in early 2020, and will offer users a choice of four different search engines, including Google.
- A tiny town in Oregon is fighting Facebook's attempts to install an undersea cable connecting the US to Asia there. Locals in Tierra del Mar are trying to stop Facebook from using property to build a spot for an ultra-high-speed cable connecting the US to Asia.
- A senator wants to ban the US from sharing intelligence with countries using Huawei 5G - which is most of America's allies. The US has been desperately trying to convince allies to freeze out Huawei's 5G kit for a year, with limited success.
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg is ditching his tradition of setting himself wacky New Year's resolutions. In previous years, Zuckerberg has built a robot butler, learned Mandarin, and vowed to only eat meat from animals he's killed himself.
- Segway's wheelchair prototype has crashed at the CES tech conference. A journalist was testing the S-Pod when the incident happened, BBC News reports.
- Musician Grimes has posted a second photo where she appears pregnant, adding to speculation she and Elon Musk are having a baby. The new photo shows Grimes wearing a coat open at the waist, revealing what appears to be a pregnant belly.
- A tongue-in-cheek Carlos Ghosn-themed video game is in development, according to Bloomberg. A pre-order page for the game 'Ghone is Gone' appeared on Steam this week.
- Delhi borders to remain sealed for next one week, CM Arvind Kejriwal invites suggestions
- Cyclone 'Nisarga' to cross Maha, Gujarat coasts in 2 days
- Tamil Nadu lockdown 5.0 — IT companies and factories can operate at full capacity expect in Chennai, Kanchipuram, Thiruvallur and Chengalpattu
- Rajasthan extends lockdown till June 30 — allows public buses and offices to operate adhering to "do gaz ki doori"
- Odisha reports highest single-day spike of 156 cases