10 things in tech you need to know today
Good morning! This is the tech news you need to know this Friday. Sign up here to get this email in your inbox every morning. Have an Amazon Alexa device? Listen to this update by searching "Business Insider" in your flash briefing settings.
- The New York Post's controversial Hunter Biden article was shared 300,000 times on Facebook. That's despite the tech giant trying to limit the spread of the piece.
- President Trump's plan to ban WeChat is likely to remain blocked by a judge. Judge Laurel Beeler said national security concerns were outweighed by the free speech rights of millions of Americans.
- Twitter suffered an outage caused by changes to its systems. The site was down for several hours for some users.
- Amazon contractors in the Philippines say their office is still unsafe. A new report details a lack of social distancing measures at the facility and poor sanitation.
- YouTube announced new action against QAnon but stopped short of ban. The company said it had already removed thousands of QAnon videos and taken down hundreds of channels.
- Elon Musk's SpaceX is launching a satellite that can measure rising sea levels. The firm said its satellite can measure millimeter-scale changes in elevation.
- The UK government is in talks with an AI startup offering to root out furlough fraud, Business Insider revealed. Tax collector HMRC recently warned that up to £3.5 billion may have been spent on fraudulent or mistaken claims.
- Amazon said third-party sellers grew more than its own retailers last year. Amazon is under the spotlight to prove that it does not favor its own retail items over those of third-parties.
- Uber's self-driving-car business has fallen behind Waymo and Cruise. The unit has suffered from infighting, legal issues, and a deadly crash.
- We spoke to 23 of Europe's most successful entrepreneurs-turned-angel investors. Unicorn founders said they wanted to experience the other side of the table.
- Here is what to expect from Maruti, M&M, Hero, Bajaj Auto and other automakers in February auto sales
- Google pledges $5 million to address disparities in COVID-19 vaccinations
- Maruti Suzuki completes two million vehicle exports since 1986-87
- New tool spots to identify security and privacy issues with COVID-19 tracing apps
- Countdown begins for PSLV rocket's one of longest missions