10 things in tech you need to know today
Good morning! This is the tech news you need to know this Tuesday. Sign up here to get this email in your inbox every morning.
Have an Amazon Alexa device? Listen to this update by searching "Business Insider" in your flash briefing settings.
- The US charged six Russian hackers for cyber crimes. The alleged hacks took down parts of Ukraine's power grid and disrupted the Olympic games in South Korea.
- Apple launched a 24/7 music channel. Apple Music TV is an MTV-style channel featuring new videos, interviews, premieres, and live shows.
- iPhone 12 preorders are double those of the iPhone 11. According to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple is said to have sold between 1.7 million and 2 million units of the iPhone 12 in its first 24 hours of preorder availability.
- Facebook blocked 2.2 million political ads. The organizations behind them had not yet been approved to run political ads, the firm said.
- The moon is getting 4G. NASA is paying Nokia's Bell Labs $14.1 million to build a 4G network on the moon to help astronauts control lunar rovers, navigate lunar geography in real time, and stream videos.
- TikTok creators are posting undisclosed political ads. The posts were paid for by Bigtent Creative, a marketing company that is working to register young people to vote in the US presidential election.
- Japan's antitrust watchdog is going after Big Tech. The new chairman of Japan's Fair Trade Commission (FTC) Kazuyuki Furuya told Reuters it will be "working closely" with its US and European counterparts to take on Big Tech.
- Cheddar insiders are questioning the millennial news network's future. The company, owned by Altice, has laid off staff, consolidated its two channels, and is still trying to establish itself as a household name.
- Just 0.4% of YouTube channels get most of the views. An academic analysis of 36 million channels shows the gulf between the site's haves and have nots.
- Monzo is rolling out a £15 a month premium service. The challenger bank's paid service includes travel insurance, a 1.5% interest rate, and a new metal card.
- World Cup 2023 final squads – Ind, Aus, Eng and all the other teams
- Eating your way to clear vision: 10 foods for healthy eyes
- 10 cafes in Bangalore offering the best of ambiance and cuisine
- Centre's fiscal deficit at Aug-end touches 36% of full-year target: CGA
- Domestic occupiers keep office space demand high in 2023