10 things in tech you need to know today
Britta Pedersen-Pool/Getty Images
Good morning! This is the tech news you need to know this Tuesday. Sign up here to get this email in your inbox every morning.
Have an Amazon Alexa device? Listen to this update by searching "Business Insider" in your flash briefing settings.
- China blocked Clubhouse. The invite-only audio app remained uncensored in China until Monday, with citizens flocking to it to discuss political topics such as Xinjiang's Uighur detention camps and Taiwan independence.
- Tesla purchased $1.5 billion of bitcoin. The automaker expects to begin accepting bitcoin as a form of payment for its products in the near future.
- Facebook is mentioned more than Parler in lawsuits relating to the Capitol riots. In those documents, Facebook is referenced more than 70 times, while Instagram and YouTube are referenced only a few dozen times at most, while Parler only shows up eight times, Forbes reported.
- Apple's talks with Kia/Hyundai may have fallen through because someone blabbed. Hyundai and Kia both said Monday they were not in talks with Apple to develop an autonomous vehicle, and Bloomberg reported Apple was unhappy the project had leaked.
- Apple supplier Dialog is being acquired. Renesas, one of the world's largest auto chip makers, is buying Dialog for $5.9 billion.
- TikTok users will soon be able to buy goods in the app. According to the Financial Times, the app is working on new in-app features like live-streamed shopping, similar to QVC.
- Chipmaker Graphcore is challenging Arm's Nvidia takeover. According to CNBC, Graphcore has filed documents with the UK's competition authority objecting to the deal.
- Facebook will remove false vaccine claims. Posts claiming vaccines are ineffective or unsafe will be deleted, the social network said.
- Premium: 23andMe is going public. CEO Anne Wojcicki told Insider the pandemic reinvigorated the consumer-genetics industry.
- Exclusive: $1.6 billion challenger bank Monzo is on the verge of new funding. The UK fintech startup is close to finalizing a $68 million round that brings in a new Silicon Valley investor.
Popular on BI
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- This frequent flyer who's been 'skiplagging' for a decade says she has 'no remorse and no angst'
- Highest strike rate in IPL 2023: Rahane beats Jaiswal; SKY only Indian in top four
- Godrej Group arm to invest ₹100 crore to acquire material handling equipment to be rented out
- These are must to do activities in Lonavala on your next visit
- Inox Wind gets 150-MW wind energy project from NTPCREL
- RBI’s gold holdings jump over 17% to a whopping ₹2,30,734 crore