8 comic-book movies that have broken through at the Oscars, including 'Joker' and 'Black Panther'
- "Joker" landed the most Oscar nominations of any movie on Monday with 11, including best picture.
- It comes a year after "Black Panther" became the first comic-book movie to be nominated for best picture.
- The two movies might hint at a brighter future for the genre at the Oscars, but they're not the first to gain major nominations.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Comic-book movies are slowly breaking through at the Oscars.Over a decade after 2008's "The Dark Knight" infamously lost out on a best-picture nomination, another movie featuring Batman's greatest foe, The Joker, landed the most nominations of any movie.
"Joker" and "Black Panther," which both grossed over $1 billion worldwide, have carved out new paths for comic-book movies at the Oscars. Plenty of superhero movies have gained nominations in technical categories like visual effects throughout the years, but these two movies might hint at a brighter future for the genre during awards season.Still, while comic-book movies hadn't been nominated for best picture prior to "Black Panther," some had been nominated for other major categories like screenplay, animated feature, or in acting categories.
They include last year's best animated-feature winner, "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse," and movies general audiences may not know are based on comic books, such as the 2005 crime drama, "A History of Violence," which is based on a 1997 graphic novel by John Wagner and Vince Locke.Below are eight comic-book movies that have broken through in major ways at the Oscars:
"Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" (2018)Advertisement
"Black Panther" (2018)
"Big Hero 6" (2014)
"The Dark Knight" (2008)Advertisement
"A History of Violence" (2005)
"Dick Tracy" (1990)Advertisement
- Nureca stocks debut on bourses at 54% premium over IPO price
- How Airtel’s AdTech platform is planning to deliver on the promise of ‘zero ad frauds’ to its clients
- Traffic jam on the Ganga - one of India's largest rivers will now get lane separators to deal with crowded boats
- Synology DiskStation DS220+ review – the perfect cloud replacement for backing up photos and files
- US drug regulator says Johnson & Johnson's Covid-19 vaccine safe and effective