8 multi-billion IPOs that cemented Andreessen Horowitz's power
- Andreessen Horowitz earned its Silicon Valley power broker status by backing Facebook and Twitter.
- It's turned those wins into a decade of multi-billion exits.
- Here are the firm's eight biggest IPO exits since 2011.
A decade after Marc Andreessen declared that software was "eating the world," his VC firm has notched a succession of multibillion-dollar exits.
Andreessen Horowitz, founded in 2009, hit the ground running early with a few
But as Crunchbase noted in a recent analysis of Andreessen Horowitz's performance, the VC firm didn't have large enough stakes in those companies to merit a mention in SEC filings.
That's also the case for a couple of more recent public debuts within its portfolio: Airbnb and Roblox. Andreessen Horowitz backed Roblox in 2020 as part of its later-stage portfolio.
But several of its more substantial investments have borne fruit recently. According to Crunchbase, the firm has had stakes of 5% or more in eight companies that have gone public since 2011. All but one have gone public in the last two years.
The VC firm was the largest institutional investor in Coinbase prior to the company's direct listing in April. Andreessen Horowitz's stake, based on the company's recent share performance, is worth around $6 billion.
Here are all the public companies since 2011 in which a16z held at least a 5% stake. For most of the companies, the VC firm got in early.
|Company||Public debut||First a16z investment|
|Okta||April 2017||2010, Series A|
|Lyft||March 2019||2013, Series C|
|PagerDuty||April 2019||2013, Series A|
|April 2019||2011, Series B|
|Slack||June 2019||2010, Series A|
|Accolade||July 2020||2016, Series E|
|DigitalOcean||March 2021||2014, Series A|
|Coinbase||April 2021||2013, Series B|
- iPod inventor says Apple should move iPhone to USB-C
- Flipkart group leads e-commerce festive sales, Meesho is second largest contributor in order volume: Redseer
- 'Holistic approach' to be central to upcoming COP27; UN expert laments unfulfilled $100 billion climate aid promise
- T20 World Cup 2022: India’s squad, schedule, past performance and all details here
- Sweden has evidence to back Nord Stream sabotage suspicions: Security Service