A brand-new Pokémon game for the Nintendo Switch was just unveiled, and it's the open-world game fans have been waiting years for
- A brand-new type of Pokémon game was unveiled in a presentation on Friday morning.
- "Pokémon Legends: Arceus" looks like the open-world, 3D Pokémon game that fans have wanted for years.
- The game is headed to Nintendo's Switch, and is scheduled to launch in "early" 2022.
For years, Pokémon video game fans have been clamoring for an open-world version of the wildly popular game series.
And on Friday morning, they finally got exactly that: "Pokémon Legends: Arceus" is an open-world Pokémon game headed to the Nintendo Switch in "early" 2022, The Pokémon Company announced in a video presentation.
The game "honors past Pokémon games' core gameplay while infusing new action and RPG elements," according to its website - a mix of the mainline Pokémon games with a more active style of gameplay.
The game is already being compared to Nintendo's 2017 reinvention of the "Legend of Zelda" franchise, "Breath of the Wild," particularly because of a camera move from the trailer that looks very familiar:
—Akfamilyhome (@Akfamilyhome) February 26, 2021
Beyond the art style and open-world nature of both games, the debut trailer for "Pokémon Legends" demonstrates that it's still foundationally a Pokémon game.
Tracking, battling, and capturing Pokémon is core to the gameplay of "Legends," albeit in a very old version of the Sinnoh region from the "Pokémon Diamond" and "Pokémon Pearl" games. "The story unfolds in a long-gone era, before the idea of being a Pokémon Trainer or having a Pokemon League even existed," the company said.
The game is headed to Nintendo's Switch console, and it's scheduled to launch in "early" 2022.
Check out the debut trailer for "Pokémon Legends: Arceus" right here:
Got a tip? Contact Insider senior correspondent Ben Gilbert via email (email@example.com), or Twitter DM (@realbengilbert). We can keep sources anonymous. Use a non-work device to reach out. PR pitches by email only, please.
- 'Harry Potter' had a chance to represent Indian kids like me, but all we got were Parvati and Padma Patil's atrocious Yule Ball outfits
- Manchester United owners are getting drawn to the world's biggest cricket league – here's why
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- Twitter now lets anyone on Android and iOS host Spaces
- PUBG: New State with ‘PC-like’ gameplay will officially launch on November 11
- Nykaa has added a skincare brand to its shopping cart, a week before its IPO
- Indian Prime Minister’s vaccine celebration may really be a pitch for a ratings upgrade
- Here’s how to install Android apps on Windows 11