A Palestinian journalist who was reporting live from the West Bank says Twitter asked her to delete her tweets
- Mariam Barghouti said Twitter asked her to remove tweets when she was reporting from the West Bank.
- Twitter also temporarily restricted her account, saying she violated the platform's media policy.
- Twitter said the restriction was an accident.
A Palestinian-American journalist said Twitter asked her to delete some tweets while she was reporting live from the West Bank.
Mariam Barghouti told Motherboard that Twitter asked her to remove some tweets.
"To be frank I'm not sure which tweets, I was at a demonstration being chased by Israeli military jeeps along with hundreds of Palestinians near Ramallah," she told Motherboard.
Barghouti's account was also temporarily restricted on Tuesday. Barghouti posted to her Instagram Story screenshots of a message from Twitter saying that she had violated the company's media policy.
According to Motherboard, Barghouti had been on the ground covering protests against the planned evictions of Palestinians in East Jerusalem. The expulsions stoked longstanding tensions between Israel and Hamas, the Gaza militant group. On Monday and Tuesday, Israeli forces carried out airstrikes in Palestinian territories, and Hamas fired rockets at Israeli cities.
Twitter later told Motherboard that her account was restricted by accident.
"We took enforcement action on the account you referenced in error. That has since been reversed," a Twitter spokesperson said.
In an Instagram Story, Barghouti said in response: "Twitter said it was a mistake. I think I just have more visibility than other accounts."
This is what her account looked like while restricted:
-Casey Johnston (@caseyjohnston) May 11, 2021
According to Motherboard, she had tweeted shortly before her account was restricted: "I feel like I'm in a war zone in Beit El. Israeli keeps just went full forces with hundreds of teargas canisters shot."
- Credit score improvement requires strict disciple but it is possible – Here’s how go about it
- Stellar listing gains: Book profits if there are bumper gains say experts
- Exit polls predict BJP advantage in MP, Rajasthan, Congress win in Chhattisgarh, Telangana and tight contest in Mizoram
- India Squad announced for South Africa Tour - Rohit Sharma in Tests, SuryaKumar Yadav in T20s and KL Rahul in ODIs will lead
- IMD forecasts cyclone in Bay of Bengal around Dec 3