A single Fastly customer changing their settings triggered the giant internet outage that hit Reddit, Spotify, and the White House's site
- Large chunks of the internet went down Tuesday morning, including
Spotify, and the White House's site.
- The problem was caused by
Fastly, a content-delivery network used by many sites.
- Fastly said the outage was due to a bug triggered by a single customer updating their settings.
A huge outage hit numerous parts of the internet for an hour on Tuesday morning, with major sites including Reddit, Spotify, The New York Times, and the White House going offline.
At the root of the problem was Fastly, a popular content-delivery network (CDN). CDNs usually help websites load faster, but CDN problems can take out parts of the internet.
In a blog posted on Wednesday, Fastly's Senior Vice President of Engineering and Infrastructure Nick Rockwell explained what had triggered the outage - it was one unnamed customer changing their settings.
"On May 12, we began a software deployment that introduced a bug that could be triggered by a specific customer configuration under specific circumstances," Rockwell said.
"Early June 8, a customer pushed a valid configuration change that included the specific circumstances that triggered the bug, which caused 85% of our network to return errors," he said, adding that Fastly had rolled out a permanent fix for the bug.
"Even though there were specific conditions that triggered this outage, we should have anticipated it," Rockwell said.
"We apologize to our customers and those who rely on them for the outage and sincerely thank the community for its support."
- I took a new job in a remote location after my divorce. There aren't many people to date, but I'm happy staying single.
- Elon Musk hits out at viral videos of DINK couples, saying there's an 'awful morality' to those who choose not to have children
- Married couples often share high blood pressure, study shows
- 8 Irresistible seasonal snacks to warm your winter days
- Vijay Shekhar Sharma says 'Wed in India' is a good idea for its food options
- NCLAT stays CCI penalty on NTPC in Ratnagiri Gas & Power shares issue
- A Japanese Start-Up Is Testing a Rocket Powered Entirely By Rocket Fuel Created From Cow Dung!
- Amazon sues scammers for stealing millions of dollars via fake returns