After Google, now Oppo is reportedly working on its own chipset to reduce dependence on Qualcomm and MediaTek
Oppois reportedly working on an application processor (AP) that is expected to be announced in 2023.
- It is based on TSMC’s 6nm process node and is expected to enter mass production in 2023.
- The company is also working on a system on a chip (SoC) based on TSMC’s 4nm process node.
AdvertisementChinese smartphone maker Oppo is reportedly developing its own chipset and is expected to reveal it in 2023. The company will join the likes of Google, Apple and Samsung which have launched their own mobile chipset.
Oppo had earlier revealed a neural processing unit (NPU) dubbed as MariSilicon X during the company’s Inno Day 2022 annual event. The chipset is aimed at providing AI power and enhancing the device’s camera functions.
According to a report by IT Home, Oppo’s integrated circuit (IC) design subsidiary Shanghai Zheku is working on an application processor (AP) chipset. It is expected to be announced in 2023 and will likely enter mass production in the same year.
The upcoming chipset from Oppo is expected to be produced on the Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company’s (TSMC) 6nm process node. In addition to this, the company is also working on a system on a chip (SoC) based on TSMC’s 4nm process node and it is expected to be announced in 2024.
Oppo has reportedly been hiring chip developers and AI experts from Qualcomm, MediaTek and Huawei. The new chipset will allow the company to reduce its dependency on existing chipmakers Qualcomm and MediaTek.
At the moment, it is not known whether the upcoming chipset has been designed for budget devices or premium devices. The chipset will allow the company to tweak performance as per their requirement, offering them more control over their devices.
Another major benefit of having your own chipset is that you do not have to compete with other smartphone makers for chipset supplies. The global market has been facing a chipset shortage for some time now and it is expected to continue for the foreseeable future.
We should know more about the mobile chipset from Oppo in the coming days.
Xiaomi 12 Pro – specs, expected price, launch date and everything you need to know
Apple is reportedly planning to launch Macs with M2 chipsets later this year
US companies seize worldwide semiconductor trade with over thirteen times more market share than China
Popular on BI
- MrBeast called out TikTok for allowing a deepfake version of him hawking $2 iPhones to run wild on the app: 'This is a serious problem'
- How an OnlyFans creator earned $60,000 from a 'marathon' livestream
- TikTok's strategy for US dominance is straight out of Amazon's playbook — but creators are the fuel for its flywheel
- Travel Boom: India spends 2X of pre-pandemic level on Airbnb with Goa leading the charge
- Swiggy disburses over Rs 450 cr in loans to 8000 restaurant owners
- Hyundai Motor India says all its vehicles to come with 6 airbags
- Earthquake jolts Delhi and other parts of northern India
- World Bank pegs India's FY24 GDP growth at 6.3% as global headwinds emerge