After Google, now Oppo is reportedly working on its own chipset to reduce dependence on Qualcomm and MediaTek
Oppois reportedly working on an application processor (AP) that is expected to be announced in 2023.
- It is based on TSMC’s 6nm process node and is expected to enter mass production in 2023.
- The company is also working on a system on a chip (SoC) based on TSMC’s 4nm process node.
AdvertisementChinese smartphone maker Oppo is reportedly developing its own chipset and is expected to reveal it in 2023. The company will join the likes of Google, Apple and Samsung which have launched their own mobile chipset.
Oppo had earlier revealed a neural processing unit (NPU) dubbed as MariSilicon X during the company’s Inno Day 2022 annual event. The chipset is aimed at providing AI power and enhancing the device’s camera functions.
According to a report by IT Home, Oppo’s integrated circuit (IC) design subsidiary Shanghai Zheku is working on an application processor (AP) chipset. It is expected to be announced in 2023 and will likely enter mass production in the same year.
The upcoming chipset from Oppo is expected to be produced on the Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company’s (TSMC) 6nm process node. In addition to this, the company is also working on a system on a chip (SoC) based on TSMC’s 4nm process node and it is expected to be announced in 2024.
Oppo has reportedly been hiring chip developers and AI experts from Qualcomm, MediaTek and Huawei. The new chipset will allow the company to reduce its dependency on existing chipmakers Qualcomm and MediaTek.
At the moment, it is not known whether the upcoming chipset has been designed for budget devices or premium devices. The chipset will allow the company to tweak performance as per their requirement, offering them more control over their devices.
Another major benefit of having your own chipset is that you do not have to compete with other smartphone makers for chipset supplies. The global market has been facing a chipset shortage for some time now and it is expected to continue for the foreseeable future.
We should know more about the mobile chipset from Oppo in the coming days.
Xiaomi 12 Pro – specs, expected price, launch date and everything you need to know
Apple is reportedly planning to launch Macs with M2 chipsets later this year
US companies seize worldwide semiconductor trade with over thirteen times more market share than China
Popular on BI
- Gold and silver jewellery to get a lot more expensive
- Indian tycoon Gautam Adani has abandoned a $2.5 billion fundraising effort in his latest setback following a short seller attack on his business empire
- It's been a very bad month for Indian billionaires — four of the richest Indians have collectively lost about $45 billion in 2023
- Budget to aid flagging affordable home segment, boosts demand with infra push
- BYJU's slashes over 1,000 jobs, mostly from its engineering teams
- Budget 2023-24: Positive for infra and credit growth
- Budget 2023-24: Continued focus on infra to enable growth, create jobs & enhance quality of life
- Budget 2023 proposes 20% TCS on foreign expenses under LRS