Android 12 for TV will be a major update with several important new features
- Google has rolled out a new beta of the
Android 12 for TVupdate.
- It comes with several major new features that offer a visual upgrade.
- The list includes native 4K UI and dynamic refresh rate support.
Smart TVs have gone from being gimmicky to offering plenty of features and making it easier than ever to cut the cable. While only the budget TVs adopted Google’s operating system initially, we are now seeing major TV players like Sony use Android TV even for their premium and high-end smart TVs.
For instance, the Indian smart TV market posted a 55% annual growth in the first quarter of this financial year, according to data from Counterpoint Research. The top five spots were dominated by Xiaomi, Samsung, LG and Sony, of which Xiaomi and Sony offer Android TVs.
AdvertisementKeeping the overall growth of the smart TV segment in mind, Google is preparing the Android 12 for TV update with some important new features aimed at these powerful TVs – this includes 4K UI rendering, dynamic refresh rates and more.
Google has released the Android 12 Beta 3 for TV update that details these new features. Here’s what Android 12 for TV includes:
Native 4K UI support
This feature is aimed at allowing apps and the user interface to make full use of the high-resolution displays on TVs. While smart TVs with 4K resolution displays support 4K playback, the user interface itself is rendered in 1080p and upscaled to 4K.
In simpler terms, native 4K UI support will make things look a lot better on TV.
Dynamic refresh rate
AdvertisementDynamic refresh rate allows app developers to switch between different refresh rates, based on the needs of the user interface and the content being displayed or played back.
Nvidia’s Shield TV has had this feature for a while now.
Privacy and security enhancements
AdvertisementPrivacy and security have become an important aspect of the modern smart TV experience since there are some TVs in the market that support cameras and microphones out of the box.
The new update will show indicators whenever an app uses the camera or microphone. Users will also be allowed to turn on or off the camera and microphone. When turned off, apps will not be able to access those features.
There are more features that will likely be detailed in the coming days and weeks. However, it remains to be seen if companies update the existing smart TVs to Android 12 for TV, since most TVs currently run on the Android 9 Pie update.
Amazon Prime Day 2021: Best offers and deals on smart TVs
Best 65-inch 4K smart TVs in India for 2021
Best 55-inch smart TVs under ₹50000 in India
Popular on BI
- A massive study from Israel suggests older adults were far less likely to develop severe COVID-19 after a booster shot, but the finding carries major limitations
- Everything you need to know about iOS 15: Release date, new features, supported devices
- Watch SpaceX launch 4 space tourists into Earth's orbit
- Wealth management firm White Oak Capital gets SEBI’s nod to enter mutual fund business
- IPO-bound Pine Labs raises another $100 million
- Virat Kohli to step down as India’s T20 captain, says he had ‘immense workload’ over the years
- India's bad bank gets government nod — green lights NARCL with ₹30,600 crore guarantee
- Byju’s acquires yet another coding-for-kids startup, this time an American one