iPhone users may soon start seeing more ads on their devices, report says
Appleis reportedly considering showing ads to iPhone users in its apps.
- The company may soon show ads in apps like Maps, Podcasts and Books.
- Apple may also increase the ads it shows in the App Store.
AdvertisementiPhones are known for their clutter-free and ad-free experience, which many people are ready to pay a premium for. However, this might change soon as Apple is reportedly planning on adding advertisements to its apps.
According to a report by Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman, Apple is looking to expand its ad revenue by pushing more ads in its apps on iPhones and iPads. Apple already shows some ads in the App Store, just like Google. Developers can promote their apps on the App Store using these advertisements.
Apple may expand ads in the App Store
Apple currently shows ads in the Suggested Tab on the top with an “Ad” tag. Going forward, users may start seeing ads in the main “Today” tab and third-party apps’.
More Apple apps may get ads
Apple has already started showing ads in its News and Stocks apps. The above report suggests that Apple may also show ads in its other apps, such as Maps, Apple Podcasts, and Apple Books.
It is reported to work in a way that local businesses will be able to pay an amount to get featured in map searches, and publishers may get an opportunity to be featured more prominently by paying Apple.
The existing ads are already bringing Apple huge revenue, and the company said to increase it significantly. Apple reportedly earns around $4 billion from the ads it is currently showing, and the company wants to take the figure into double digits.
Google also shows ads in the Play Store when you search for an app, and you can also see some ads on download pages. You may also see ads occasionally when you search for a location on Maps. In a way, Apple may follow Google’s approach by pushing more ads in its apps.
After EU, India wants companies to offer a common charger for all devices
Apple will pay $30.5 million to California employees who weren't paid while they had their bags searched at work, after a judge OK'd a settlement in the 9-year case
Why Google just put Apple on blast over its messaging: 'It's time for Apple to fix texting.'
Popular on BI
- A man's cancer vanished after he was injected with a weakened herpes virus in a promising clinical trial
- Airtel 5G launched in eight cities, entire country to be covered by 2024
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- India Inc's foreign commercial borrowings rise by 4.6% in August
- India emerges as the world's largest producer, consumer of sugar
- Scientists find new evidence for liquid water on Mars
- Both GST and Excise duty can be imposed on tobacco: Karnataka HC
- Godrej Consumer Products expects improved consumption in second half of this fiscal