After a delay with its offline store, Apple postpones the launch of its online store too says report
- Apple has reportedly postponed the launch of its online store in India to Q3 2020.
- Apple’s offline retail store in Mumbai has also been delayed and may be launched next year.
In August 2019, the Indian government eased sourcing norms for single brand retailers, paving the way for companies like Apple to set up their own online stores without having to establish a brick and mortar presence. Back then, a report said that Apple will launch its online store within 3-5 months
Tentative deadline set for Q3 2020 launch
Citing sources familiar with the matter, a TechCrunch report now claims that Apple is currently working on the logistics of setting up its online store in India. The new tentative deadline has been set between July and September. Apple CEO Tim Cook will reportedly plan a trip to India for the announcement.
Last year, it was reported that Apple has started working on its first offline retail store in the country, which will come up in the Bandra Kurla Complex in Mumbai. As per the source, the offline store will not be ready this year as it requires a few more months to set up.
Apple currently sells its products via third-party offline retailers and e-commerce platforms such as Amazon, Flipkart and Paytm. There have been reports that Apple executives were not happy with the discounts being offered by such platforms as it reflected poorly on the brand. But the plans to go on their own - both online and offline- seems to have hit an air pocket.
India opens the door for Apple retail with new foreign investment rules
India’s first Apple Store opening in the Bandra Kurla Complex in Mumbai
Apple's webstore could be up and running in 5 months as India eases FDI norms
- Adani completes ₹1,300 crore acquisition of Alipurduar Transmission from Kalpataru Power
- Chaos at Tikri border as protesters clash with police
- Five patients killed after fire breaks out at ICU of COVID hospital in Gujarat, PM Modi condoles deaths
- How Adtech is helping to optimize revenue streams to monetization content for media & advertising during this age of online boom post COVID-19
- Russia to produce Sputnik V Covid vaccine in India