Apple reportedly plans 30% increase in iPhone production for first half of 2021, amid concerns of labor rights violations at plants
- Nikkei Asia reported
Appleplans to increase iPhone production by 30% in the first half of 2021 due to high demand.
- Apple launched iPhone 12 models, which support 5G connectivity, in October.
- Workers at Asian factories that make
iPhoneshave recently accused Apple of unfair laborpractices, like withholding wages and employing student workers, which led the company to suspend work with its manufacturer Pegatron.
Apple is reportedly gearing up to produce 96 million iPhones by June 2021.
Nikkei Asia reported the smartphone company plans to increase iPhone production by 30% in the first half of 2021 due to high demand. Sources told the publication Apple plans to build up to 230 million iPhones next year, including both old and new models.Apple did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The Wall Street Journal reported in April the companies delayed production for the iPhone 12 by a month due to manufacturing disruptions caused by the coronavirus pandemic.Apple added $88 billion in market value on Tuesday after Nikkei Asia reported the increased production.
Apple joined other major corporations to lobby Congress to weaken a bill that would bar firms from relying on the forced labor of Uighurs and other Muslim minorities in China, per The New York Times. The Australian Strategic Policy Institute reported at least 2,700 Uighur people had been transferred to Apple's supply chain since 2017.
A September 2019 report by China Labor Watch found Apple and Foxconn broke Chinese labor laws by employing too many temporary workers at the largest iPhone factory in Zhengzhou, China. Apple confirmed at the time that hey broke Chinese labor law to several news outlets.The tech giant suspended business with Pegatron, the second-largest iPhone manufacturer, in November due to student labor violations in China.
- OPPO A74 smartphone with 5G support and 90Hz display to launch in India soon, to be priced under ₹20,000
- VCs say 10 unicorns in 4 months may seem too small by the end of this year
- Timelapse in Google Earth shows you the slow and scary demise of our only home in 3D
- Bhima Jewellery’s ‘Pure as love’ campaign is trending, and for all the right reasons
- Samsung Galaxy M42 5G to launch in India on April 28 – Specs, expected price and everything we know so far