Clubhouse appears to have permanently suspended Laura Loomer, a right-wing activist and self-proclaimed 'proud Islamophobe'
- Laura Loomer, an activist known for anti-Muslim rhetoric, has apparently been banned from
- A message from a Telegram account under her name said Clubhouse removed her for policy violations.
- It said: "I followed all the rules and simply had a conversation about censorship."
Laura Loomer, a political figure known for making anti-Muslim remarks and spreading conspiracy theories, said she's been suspended by Clubhouse.
According to her account on the free-speech site Telegram, Loomer's profile on the invitation-only social media app Clubhouse was removed hours after she set it up.
She posted: "I followed all the rules and simply had a conversation about censorship. Less than 12 hours later, it's 7am EST, and I am banned from Clubhouse for what they call a violation of their 'violence policy.'"
Clubhouse didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.
Loomer's account didn't show up in a search of the Clubhouse app on Saturday. But a profile page she linked to from Telegram was accessible via the URL joinclubhouse.com/@lauraloomer.
As a 2020 Republican nominee for Congress in Florida, Loomer described herself as a "proud Islamophobe." She also spread conspiracy theories about mass shootings, as Insider reported.
Loomer was already banned from Twitter, Facebook, and other social media platforms for her comments. Now she can apparently add Clubhouse to the list.
Before her suspension, Salon reporter Zachary Petrizzo noted on Twitter that Loomer was "doubling down on her anti-Muslim remarks on Clubhouse, and saying that she doesn't want to be 'roadkill' if Uber doesn't do background checks on Muslim drivers."
Former President Donald Trump's daughter-in-law, Lara Trump, made headlines during the US election for campaigning alongside Loomer.
In 2017, Loomer celebrated the deaths of 2,000 migrants crossing the Mediterranean and called for "2,000 more" deaths. She was banned by Uber and Lyft that same year for Anti-Muslim comments. She tweeted: "Someone needs to create a non Islamic form of Uber or Lyft because I never want to support another Islamic immigrant driver."
Insider has contacted Loomer for comment.
- I just got laid off from my dream job at Tesla without warning. I feel like my life got uprooted so a billionaire could save some money.
- Four-days work week, full and final settlement within 2 days of exit — new changes at workplaces to reflect from July 1
- Mark Zuckerberg told Meta staff he's upping performance goals to get rid of employees who 'shouldn't be here,' report says
- Antonia Wade, PwC's global CMO, tells Insider how B2B spending changes in tough economic times
- Ban on single-use plastic kicks in across India as the country recognises the choking impacts of plastic waste on the environment
- Bank FDs will draw down from mutual funds if interest rates go up to 7.5-8%, says report
- Best smartphones under ₹40,000 in India
- Are we worse off than we were in 2008? Foreign investors seem to think so