Clubhouse partners with Stripe to let you send money directly to creators by tapping on their profile
- Clubhouse now lets users send money to creators on the audio-only app.
- Clubhouse partnered with Stripe on the system, and is testing it with a small group of creators.
- Users simply tap "Send Money" on a creator's Clubhouse profile. Stripe charges a card fee.
Audio-only app Clubhouse on Monday began allowing users to send money directly to creators on the platform thanks to a partnership with payments company Stripe.All users can donate money to creators via "Clubhouse Payments," the company wrote in a blog post on Sunday. Not all creators can receive payments yet - Clubhouse said it's starting with a "small test group."
To donate, Clubhouse users tap the "Send Money" button on a creator's profile, and then choose how much to send. The first time a user sends money, Clubhouse asks them to enter their card details.
-edwin (@edwinwee) April 5, 2021Creators will get all of the money a user sends, but users will be charged a card-processing fee by Stripe.
Stripe CEO Patrick Collison tweeted on Sunday: "It's cool to see a new social platform focus first on *participant* income rather than internalized monetization / advertising."The invite-only app is only available on iOS, but plans to launch on Android by the summer.Apple requires developers to use Apple's payment system for in-app purchases. Apple takes a 15 to 30% cut of every transaction.
An Apple spokesperson declined to comment on whether this will affect Clubhouse's new payments feature but pointed Insider to the company's App Store Review Guidelines. Here, Apple states that "apps may enable individual users to give a monetary gift to another individual without using in-app purchase" so long as the payment is an optional choice and 100% of the money goes to the receiver.
Clubhouse said the payments tool is "the first of many features that allow creators and to get paid directly" via the app.Tesla CEO Elon Musk and Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg have both appeared for chats on the platform.
- India to hold two-day BRICS meet on Green Hydrogen initiatives
- SEBI asks PNB Housing to halt ₹4,000 crore preferential issue of shares
- Word Music Day 2021: Importance, history, memorable quotes and how to celebrate it during a pandemic
- International Yoga Day — this year’s theme is ‘Yoga for well-being’
- International Yoga Day 2021 — a few quotes to remember and share