'Curing death' and other semi-secret projects that Pichai will oversee as Alphabet’s CEO
- As Alphabet's new CEO, Sundar Pichai is will be looking after more than just Google.
- He will also at the helm of Alphabet's Other Bets division, which hones research and development.
- Its undertakings include developing neural networks, 'curing death', internet-beaming balloons and other semi-secret projects.
Google is Alphabet's largest subsidiary but it has a whole other division for its research and development ventures called Other Bets. The secondary division includes experimental projects like self-driving cars, health-tech — like smart contact lenses — and venture capital investments.
Overall Alphabet has 13 other mini-companies under its umbrella, aside from Google.
But, the Other Bets division hasn't been faring too well of late. In 2018, it posted a loss of $3.4 billion. Meanwhile, Alphabet has been pouring more money into Google's cloud business which meant less investment toward Other Bets.
Here's a list of the projects that Pichai will now be looking after:
- Two foreigners held for drug peddling
- Bio-secure bubbles – Here's how IPL players will be staying safe during the pandemic
- INTERVIEW: Chennai-based CAMS’ 30-year journey to an IPO
- Amazon pumps in money into MORE to take on the heavyweights Reliance Retail and DMart
- 30 COVID vaccine candidates being developed: Health Ministry