Cybersecurity firm Malwarebytes was hacked by 'Dark Halo,' the same group that breached SolarWinds last year
SolarWindshackers attacked cybersecurity firm Malwarebytes, ZDNet reported.
- The company's software remains "safe to use," the CEO said.
- Malwarebytes adds to a growing list of firms attacked by the SolarWinds hackers.
The same group that breached IT software company SolarWinds last year has hacked cybersecurity firm Malwarebytes, adding to the growing list of major security firms targeted by the group.
In an emailed statement, a Malwarebytes spokeswoman said based on the techniques of the attack, the company believes it was "the same threat actor" that attacked SolarWinds. Malwarebytes said
The SolarWinds hack last year was a "supply chain attack" that led to breaches at US government agencies and other businesses. SolarWinds, FireEye, Microsoft, CrowdStrike and now Malwarebytes have all been targeted by UNC2452/Dark Halo, a group US agencies have said the Russian government is behind. FireEye told Insider on Tuesday that its researchers are seeing new incursions from the SolarWinds attacks, including hacking into companies' Microsoft 365 email.
Malwarebytes learned of the breach on December 15 from the Microsoft Security Response Center and has since investigated the matter, ZDNet reported. The company's CEO Marcin Kleczynski told ZDNet the hacker only gained access to a limited subset of internal company emails and added that the "software remains safe to use."
In an emailed statement to Insider, a Malwarebytes spokeswoman said, "While we were fortunate to experience a limited impact on our business, this scenario underscores the need for the industry to continue to collaborate in efforts to prevent increasingly complex nation state attacks."
- I took a new job in a remote location after my divorce. There aren't many people to date, but I'm happy staying single.
- Elon Musk hits out at viral videos of DINK couples, saying there's an 'awful morality' to those who choose not to have children
- Married couples often share high blood pressure, study shows
- 8 Irresistible seasonal snacks to warm your winter days
- Vijay Shekhar Sharma says 'Wed in India' is a good idea for its food options
- NCLAT stays CCI penalty on NTPC in Ratnagiri Gas & Power shares issue
- A Japanese Start-Up Is Testing a Rocket Powered Entirely By Rocket Fuel Created From Cow Dung!
- Amazon sues scammers for stealing millions of dollars via fake returns