Disney patents metaverse technology for theme parks that would track visitors while projecting personalized 3D images for them
Disneyis one step closer to creating its own theme-park metaverse.
- The entertainment company was recently approved for a "virtual-world simulator" patent.
Disney park visitors could soon be riding through the metaverse as the entertainment giant explores headsetless
Disney Enterprises was approved for a "virtual-world simulator" patent during the last week of December. The technology would project 3D images and virtual effects onto physical spaces, according to the US Patent Office.
Instead of being designed for mass entertainment, the device would track individual park visitors to personalize the projections. For example, while one family may see Mickey Mouse greeting them by a hot-dog stand, another group could interact with Princess Belle and Cinderella.
The technology aligns with the brand's goal to tell stories through a "three-dimensional canvas" as highlighted by CEO
"Our efforts to date are merely a prologue to a time when we'll be able to connect the physical and digital worlds even more closely, allowing for storytelling without boundaries in our own Disney metaverse," Chapek said.
Disney officials told The LA Times that the company has "no current plans" to use the simulator, adding that Disney files hundreds of patents per year to explore developing technologies. A spokesperson did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
The patent highlights the simulator's ability to create shared virtual-world experiences without a headset or mobile device, which "can be costly and inconvenient to wear." It also says wearable AR devices will require "burdensome sanitation procedures" during the era of COVID-19.
- Yasin Malik sentenced to life in terror funding case
- Apple could be looking to increase production in India but its geopolitical tension with China might hinder the process, says analyst
- To help fight water scarcity, a machine that produces drinking water from air has been launched in India
- Voltas records an unprecedented triple-digit growth in April '22
- Best moisturizers to keep skin soft and nourished