Disney patents metaverse technology for theme parks that would track visitors while projecting personalized 3D images for them
Disneyis one step closer to creating its own theme-park metaverse.
- The entertainment company was recently approved for a "virtual-world simulator" patent.
Disney park visitors could soon be riding through the metaverse as the entertainment giant explores headsetless
Disney Enterprises was approved for a "virtual-world simulator" patent during the last week of December. The technology would project 3D images and virtual effects onto physical spaces, according to the US Patent Office.
Instead of being designed for mass entertainment, the device would track individual park visitors to personalize the projections. For example, while one family may see Mickey Mouse greeting them by a hot-dog stand, another group could interact with Princess Belle and Cinderella.
The technology aligns with the brand's goal to tell stories through a "three-dimensional canvas" as highlighted by CEO
"Our efforts to date are merely a prologue to a time when we'll be able to connect the physical and digital worlds even more closely, allowing for storytelling without boundaries in our own Disney metaverse," Chapek said.
Disney officials told The LA Times that the company has "no current plans" to use the simulator, adding that Disney files hundreds of patents per year to explore developing technologies. A spokesperson did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
The patent highlights the simulator's ability to create shared virtual-world experiences without a headset or mobile device, which "can be costly and inconvenient to wear." It also says wearable AR devices will require "burdensome sanitation procedures" during the era of COVID-19.
- How OnlyFans star Riley Reid plans to 'immortalize' herself using AI
- A leading supplement researcher says she doesn't take any — because she's getting what she needs from her vegan diet
- Mattel rolled out a Barbie to honor a late Cherokee Nation chief with a language error on the box that says 'chicken' instead of 'Cherokee'
- Paytm to focus on big ticket loans to low-risk credit-worthy customers
- 10 Cities in India perfect for a chill and relaxed life
- India’s economic rise: How global tech giants are chasing the next big growth engine
- Lamborghini Revuelto: Plug-in hybrid supercar with V12 engine hits Indian roads
- 10 Lesser-known destinations to visit in India in December