Elon Musk has been criticized for his 'trolling' crypto tweets in a video claimed to have been made by Anonymous
Anonymousmay have been behind a video attacking Elon Musk's cryptocurrency comments.
- The video accuses Musk of constantly trolling the crypto markets with tweets that "destroyed lives."
- It follows an 8% slide in
bitcoin's value after Musk hinted at a split with the digital token.
A YouTube video claimed to have been made by "hacktivist" group Anonymous targeted Elon Musk for "constantly trolling" cryptocurrency markets.
The video, which was posted on Saturday, accused the
A person wearing a Guy Fawkes mask and speaking with a digitally modified voice, said: "For the past several years you have enjoyed one of the most favorable reputations of anyone in the billionaire class because you have tapped into the desire that many of us have to live in a world with electric cars and space exploration."
The person added: "Recently… people are beginning to see you as another narcissistic rich due who is desperate for attention."
As Forbes pointed out, however, it's not easy to verify whether the video was genuinely posted by Anonymous. The outlet noted the most popular Twitter Anonymous account, YourAnonNews has already denied being behind the video.
When asked if they could confirm the video was published by them, the tweeted response was: "Again, all the best - but no," Forbes reported.
There's no doubt though that Musk is very vocal when it comes to the subject of cryptocurrencies. Over the last few months, he has tweeted to comment on various crypto tokens. On some occasions, their values have either plunged or soared following his tweets.
His tweet came three weeks after Tesla suspended bitcoin payments over the negative environmental impact of cryptocurrency mining.
The hacking group claimed that his "erratic" public behavior in relation to cryptocurrencies "show a clear disregard for the average working person."
The video targeting Musk gained more than a million views in 24 hours. It ended by saying: "You may think you are the smartest person in the room, but now you have met your match. We are Anonymous! We are legion. Expect us."
Anonymous is a loosely affiliated group of hackers specializing in everything from data retrieval to network shutdowns.
It experienced renewed internet fame last year after a video calling out the Minneapolis Police Department went viral, as Insider reported.
- Elon Musk calls on all Twitter designers, engineers doing software to sit on his floor of HQ for 'dense and intense' work
- It’s not just Mercedes, even bank deposits are competing with equities
- A former Facebook exec says an employee at a 'large tech company' once complained to the CEO in an all-hands meeting about the quality of company toilet paper
- India will succeed in handling inflation better: Sitharaman
- India's GDP growth comes in at 6.3% in Q2: manufacturing, mining witness negative growth
- Dharmaj Crop Guard IPO subscribed by a whole 35.49 times on last day
- Sensex, Nifty50 rewrite all-time highs yet again – RIL, HDFC twins most active, ICICI Bank touches new 52-week high
- Bollywood films failing is a phase, our films will bounce back strongly: Kajol