Facebook and Google are planning to build new cables under the sea called 'Echo' and 'Bifrost' to connect the US to Singapore and Indonesia
Facebook said it has partnered with leading
While Google is only investing in Echo, Facebook is investing in both cables.
AdvertisementThese cables will increase overall transpacific capacity by 70 per cent, Facebook said this week, adding that the social networking platform is "committed to bringing more people online to a faster Internet."
While these projects are still subject to regulatory approvals, when completed, these cables are expected deliver much-needed Internet capacity, redundancy, and reliability.
The announcements come at a time when the Covid-19 pandemic has increased the need for reliable Internet access.
Echo and Bifrost will support further growth for hundreds of millions of people and millions of businesses, Facebook said.
"Echo will run from Eureka, California to Singapore, with a stop-over in Guam, with plans to also land in Indonesia. Additional landings are possible in the future," Bikash Koley, Vice President of
"Echo will be the first-ever cable to directly connect the U.S. to Singapore with direct fiber pairs over an express route. It will decrease latency for users connecting to applications running the Google Cloud Platform (GCP) regions in the area, home to some of the world's most vibrant financial and technology centres."
SIMPLY PUT: The ripple effect of Archegos Capital's collapse may cost global banks $6 billion
Samsung Galaxy A52 review – combining colour with simplicity
India’s biggest software exporter just got itself a millennial makeover after 15 years
Netflix, Hotstar and Amazon Prime are seeing more paid users than ever before — here’s why
- If the COVID-19 vaccine prices are too high for some, then why not use direct benefit transfer
- The COVID-19 crisis in India is getting worse with state administrations trying to hoard oxygen
- On Earth Day, companies commit to adopt more sustainable practices in an attempt to safeguard our tomorrow
- Tiger Global makes its first crypto investment in India making Coinswitch Kuber worth half a billion dollars
- Best pulse oximeters to keep a check on your SpO2 readings